Sign in to follow this  

Come on yamaha...

Would be nice if they did a WR250/300. The additional machining of the case would be done in one pass, maybe ten seconds or less with another tool loaded in the changer. Or a 200 version of the 125 with a wider-ratio six-speed, though that might require new engine castings for the bigger bore and stroke. Different frame cradle probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Imagine a KDX that handled like a YZ125! Either of these would show they were serious about 2Ts and supporting off-road.

What if they destroked the 250 to about 220 to dial the power back, then stuffed the cases with six WR gears? Modern-ish KDX. Would anyone buy it?

Edited by FRECNDY

Remember, Yamaha just put out a new WR450 targeting the off road market a year ago. It was kind of cobbled together from the Yz250F frame and the old YZ450F motor but still a new bike. And it has sold very well as far as I can tell. But you don't see the pro off road teams racing them. Yamaha is just fooling around with off-road and MX. They don't see a need to prove what they can do or make the best bike they can make. To hell with them. Buy something else. Then maybe they will show us what kind of super two stroke they can build.

What if they destroked the 250 to about 220 to dial the power back, then stuffed the cases with six WR gears? Modern-ish KDX. Would anyone buy it?

Not me, I wouldn't.

I would be even harder to ride. I had a wr tranny in my yz250 (2005). It needs more power, not less to pull the taller gears.

Hopefully the yz125/250 doesn't go the way of the Banshee and Blasters!!!!! What would be sweet is a blaster engine and trans in a dirtbike frame. Well, it'd have to get geared better, the first two were totally useless unless you were riding tight trails. But a 210cc 2T engine with a 6-speed trans in a yz125 frame would be the tits.

A return of the banshee would make lots of people happy. Especially in the dune riding community! So many banshee riders out there, and now there aren't any more being made for the upcoming riders that are outgrowing their Blasters that they got before they got discontinued.

I would be even harder to ride. I had a wr tranny in my yz250 (2005). It needs more power, not less to pull the taller gears.

You haven't ridden a KDX, have you? The gear spread on them is damn near perfect. My modded 220 had a tractor like 1st gear for any trials wannabe maneuvers, and ran 84 mph on gps in 6th. Since I switched to my yz I have missed that transmission! The gaps between gears were far from too large.

Edited by adam728

You haven't ridden a KDX, have you? The gear spread on them is damn near perfect. My modded 220 had a tractor like 1st gear for any trials wannabe maneuvers, and ran 84 mph on gps in 6th. Since I switched to my yz I have missed that transmission! The gaps between gears were far from too large.

Actually, I still own my trusty kdx200. No matter how many fancy race bikes I get (yz250's, ktm450, KTM200's etc..) I'm never getting rid of it. NEVER!

I know all about the KDX's. I would never ever run it up to 80+ mph though. But I get to about 60 on a rare occasion.

Out here in California desert, there are lots of sand and rocks and whoops. Its relentless. You only get to go wide open for stretches. 6th gear just doesn't pull very well on the KDX in any sort of sand or loose dirt.

On my yz250, I put in the wr gears. There is only a 5 speed, no 6th.. so there is no need dream about that. The gap was too much with the 5 spd wr gears. If you go bigger, lets say with the EG295 kit, it pulls those gears just fine.

Edited by mauricedorris

Would be nice if they did a WR250/300. The additional machining of the case would be done in one pass, maybe ten seconds or less with another tool loaded in the changer. Or a 200 version of the 125 with a wider-ratio six-speed, though that might require new engine castings for the bigger bore and stroke. Different frame cradle probably wouldn't be that big a deal. Imagine a KDX that handled like a YZ125! Either of these would show they were serious about 2Ts and supporting off-road.

To your last question I would say absolutely no. For me anyway.

What I did is bought a late model YZ250, installed the WR 3-5 gears, an EG295 kit, and I am very happy.

I have ridden a much newer KTM 300 (2011 vs my 2006 YZ) and IMO my YZ is better in all areas except two, electric start, and an HO. stator...

Actually, I still own my trusty kdx200. No matter how many fancy race bikes I get (yz250's, ktm450, KTM200's etc..) I'm never getting rid of it. NEVER!

I know all about the KDX's. I would never ever run it up to 80+ mph though. But I get to about 60 on a rare occasion.

Out here in California desert, there are lots of sand and rocks and whoops. Its relentless. You only get to go wide open for stretches. 6th gear just doesn't pull very well on the KDX in any sort of sand or loose dirt.

On my yz250, I put in the wr gears. There is only a 5 speed, no 6th.. so there is no need dream about that. The gap was too much with the 5 spd wr gears. If you go bigger, lets say with the EG295 kit, it pulls those gears just fine.

I had a 96 200, and later an 03 220. The 220 I dual sported. Stock flat out it did 72 mph. After giving fredette all my pennies it did 84 mph despite 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket. It revved just a touch further! Loved that engine, tried buying the bike back last fall after 5 years. Didnt pan out. Still want to do a "hybrid" someday.

I did just a wr 5th and regret it, HUGE gap, since I run a 15 tooth front. My bike is a torquer, so I am consideting a full wr trans still. Now is the time, engine on the bench with grumbley mains. :(

I had a 96 200, and later an 03 220. The 220 I dual sported. Stock flat out it did 72 mph. After giving fredette all my pennies it did 84 mph despite 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket. It revved just a touch further! Loved that engine, tried buying the bike back last fall after 5 years. Didnt pan out. Still want to do a "hybrid" someday.

I did just a wr 5th and regret it, HUGE gap, since I run a 15 tooth front. My bike is a torquer, so I am consideting a full wr trans still. Now is the time, engine on the bench with grumbley mains. :(

KDX, for me, is a fun little trail bike... Its fine stock, maybe new springs to hold fat ass up... that's it. Any other serious riding or gnarly trails I ride.... that's why I have other bikes... like the yz250.

My first yz250 was a 2001. i put the full wr gearing in it (1-5). It just doesn't have the torque or grunt to pull those gears. The spacing is too wide. I had to put a larger sprocket on the rear to keep the revs up and to stay on the pipe more. I simply didn't like that.

My next yz250 was a 2005. I learned to appreciate the gearing on that bike. I ran 14/47 gearing and it was really good. Top end was somewhere in the 60's, although I only got up there once or twice. During real world riding, in about 3rd or 4th gear, the spacing between the gears was perfect. But, my buddy with an 07 yz250 and the full wr tranny did the EG295 kit for about $600 along with the full WR gears. Its was a whole lot easier to ride, smooth with no hit, torquey as hell and pulled that top gear with no problem, even in the sand.

I guess what I am saying is that the yz250 can be whatever you want it to be. But if you want smoother power, go bigger, not smaller. Then you can gear up accordingly.

I'm on to riding 450's now. I've not got more bottom, mid and top. I keep the kdx for days when I want to hear the ringa ding ding!

Adam understood what I was getting at. Making a WR220 would be pointless with a five-speed. Reducing the power would be to make the necessarily narrower gears live when you fit six of them in the five-speed case.

I was playing with numbers some more, and realized that a stroke slightly shorter than EG does on the 125 to make it a 155 (so we know it fits in the cases), combined with the YZ250 bore, puts you right at 200cc, just a hair under to keep it legal in under-200cc off-road classes, if any of those still exist. It ends up really dang close to where the KDX200 was for bore/stroke relationship. To do that on the 125, you'd likely need new case castings to work with the larger jug and porting layout, maybe a couple dozen new part numbers or so in total. The vast majority of the 125 bottom end could carry over, and you should be able to use a bunch of YZ250 part numbers as well, maybe even the head casting (with different machining, obviously). Most of the case machining would be the same as either the 125 or the 250, so it could probably be run on the same work holding. It would all bolt into the 125 frame just like a 125 does. And all the big tanks that are available for the 125/250 now would work. The best-handling off-road/singletrack bike in the history of the universe is within reach if Yamaha wanted to make it happen.