The hot 2013 RMZ

Does your new RMZ start well when hot or if you tip over/stall when hot?

Why is the RMZ the only bike still with a "hot start lever" when other modern EFI systems do not?

Please describe your start procedure when hot...i stalled a few times at a race last week and my kicking leg got tired...lol. BUT, i just came off a 2 stroke so I may be needin some advice ?

Thanks all

ps...the bike is the bomb in the woods & am loving it

Edited by 02NHSChamp4strokeA

I just pull in clutch and kick smoothly. Usually starts first kick.Definitely by 2nd kick. I have never used the hot start. Actually thought about removing it.have you tried different couplers? Different fuel? Octane?. Pull the spark plug. If can tell a lot as to what is going on. If you got 15 hours maybe check valve clearance. Wish I could be more help. Good luck

Don't just boot it like a two stroke. Push down lightly until it stops then ratchet back to the top, you're probably aware already but that's top dead center. Now give it one hard kick from TDC and it should fire nearly every time. Even after I've dropped mine hot start and kick from TDC and I'm off in 2 kicks or less.

I have a hard time starting my 2012 when hot if I stall it. I think it's because I run the gray plug in high humidity. I have to though because I have the throttle open most of the time. When it was new i only rode 2 laps the first ride because the motor was so tight that I could not get it started at all. Are you out of the break in period?

By the way, a lot of dudes told me half way on the hot start. Now I start it by building comp. and giving it a swift half kick. Normally it turns over. When I'm sweating and getting rooster by a bunch of dudes after stalling, it's definitely more difficult though.

Thanks guys, yep I'm about 6.5 hyrs on my bike now, so may still be tight & I did notice how hot the bike was with the lean plug...OUCH...lol

Hey, Suz just released the new RMZ lineup for 2014....

The major improvement noted is this "ECM ignition program has been changed for improved starting performance."

I wonder if the ECM ignition program would work on my 13?...hmmm Thoughts?

Well, i am so upset/embarressed....

I raced last weekends HS and was very frustrated with the bike stalling very easy and not starting. I ordered a Rekluse on Monday and got it in the mail yesterday so was checking out my clutch when i saw that a hose was off of the bottom of my radiator. Meaning i lost my coolent in the woods at the race and didn't notice it and my bike was getting hot and shutting down/stalling after the hose got knocked off. I stopped in frustration after the second lap, but ran like that (between stalls for aprox 7 miles)....

I really dont know what to say...sorry for the stupid post about not being able to start when HOT...well i found out why today and am sick about it....

Hope your bike is ok. Was there any coolant in the bike? If not-I would open it up to make sure everything is OK. I poked a hole in my radiator last week,so I know how you feel. if it still had coolant in the head and right rad-should be OK.

Dont freak out just yet man. If the there was any coolant you may have squeaked by unharmed. Anybody know if it was shutting off electrically? Like a safe sensor?? May be a good idea to pull the head atleast and do a piston in case.