Newer 450 tranny problems

I have read and herd a bunch of tranny problems with the newer 2010 and up 450's poping out of gear due to broken and worn dogs on the gears. Most of these issue seem to show up after 50 or so hours to the bikes that have them. Is this still a problem for 12 and 13 bikes as well? I have read some of the race teams file the dogs slightly and use stronger detent springs from the crfx to help with this.

What's the verdict with this issue?

<bump> I'm curious about this too...

My 13 450 has REALLY hard clutch pull and you have to pull the lever really far in before it disengages. I'm trying to figure this issue out. Not sure if its related but thought I would throw it out there for ya.

judging by the look of the 13 trans I expect it will not have the problems of the earlier bikes.

I'm guessing the added 3mm of width in the rear hub is due to added thickness of the trans gears and crankcase.

The gears are much beefier than the earlier bikes.

Also if I remember correctly Honda superseded the earlier 3 / 4 gear sets. All of the trans I've rebuilt never failed a second time. Most likely due to the superseded parts.

Edited by nesc103y

judging by the look of the 13 trans I expect it will not have the problems of the earlier bikes.

I'm guessing the added 3mm of width in the rear hub is due to added thickness of the trans gears and crankcase.

The gears are much beefier than the earlier bikes.

Also if I remember correctly Honda superseded the earlier 3 / 4 gear sets. All of the trans I've rebuilt never failed a second time. Most likely due to the superseded parts.

Hi ,

I am doing a tranny rebuild on my 09 crf450.

Is it possible to use the 2012 gears for the 2009?

The third and the fifth gear has different number on the 2012.

Hi ,

I am doing a tranny rebuild on my 09 crf450.

Is it possible to use the 2012 gears for the 2009?

The third and the fifth gear has different number on the 2012.

I've rebuild 09's thru 12's but Ive never tried to swap parts. I wouldn't recommend that.

My guess is that the 12 gears will fit, but not mesh with the rest of the trans, due to different side dog patterns. Unless you replace the entire gear set.

Honda is notorious for changing gear designs from 4 to 3 engagement dogs and vise verse. Yet the gears will still fit the shafts.

I'm also pretty sure you will find superseded part numbers for the 09.

Be sure to replace the entire set of gear bushings. They're fairly cheap.

I've rebuild 09's thru 12's but Ive never tried to swap parts. I wouldn't recommend that.

My guess is that the 12 gears will fit, but not mesh with the rest of the trans, due to different side dog patterns. Unless you replace the entire gear set.

Honda is notorious for changing gear designs from 4 to 3 engagement dogs and vise verse. Yet the gears will still fit the shafts.

I'm also pretty sure you will find superseded part numbers for the 09.

Be sure to replace the entire set of gear bushings. They're fairly cheap.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

Gear bushings, can You please specify what You mean with this?

is it the needle bearings or some washers?

Can you point it out here?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053fdc8f870021c54bea99d/transmission

Ok, thanks for the answer.

Gear bushings, can You please specify what You mean with this?

is it the needle bearings or some washers?

Can you point it out here?

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053fdc8f870021c54bea99d/transmission

Yeah anything with collar as the description. (14, 11, 16, 7)

It wouldn't hurt to replace the circlips that hold everything in place too, unless your real good about not distorting them as you take them apart.

Edited by nesc103y

With my '12 CRF450 5th gearwheel on primary driveshaft wears out relatively fast.

I have 90 Hrs on this bike and replaced this one twice, although I rarely miss an upshift to 5th.

The dogs on the engaging gearwheel on same driveshaft show no wear. (at 5th gear side that is).

3th and 4th gears on primary shaft I replaced once till now due to worn dogs.

Btw I never replaced any collars or clips.

Edited by frankdecrosser

With my '12 CRF450 5th gearwheel on primary driveshaft wears out relatively fast.

I have 90 Hrs on this bike and replaced this one twice, although I rarely miss an upshift to 5th.

The dogs on the engaging gearwheel on same driveshaft show no wear. (at 5th gear side that is).

3th and 4th gears on primary shaft I replaced once till now due to worn dogs.

Btw I never replaced any collars or clips.

Thats my point, if you replace the main shaft 5th and don't replace the collar it rides on the gear will rock and have a sloppy engagement, leading up to a second failure.

I also replace any matching gear that dogs into in this example 5th. I would also replace main shaft 3rd since that mates into 5th, then on the other side main shaft 3rd mates into main shaft 4th and the collar 4th rides on. Hopefully I explained that so you can understand it

So it becomes a snowball effect, and by the time your done you've replaced all but the counter shaft.

Edited by nesc103y

It looks like I've been fortunate with an 09 & 10 model never having any tranny problems in mx use.  

Thats my point, if you replace the main shaft 5th and don't replace the collar it rides on the gear will rock and have a sloppy engagement, leading up to a second failure.

I also replace any matching gear that dogs into in this example 5th. I would also replace main shaft 3rd since that mates into 5th, then on the other side main shaft 3rd mates into main shaft 4th and the collar 4th rides on. Hopefully I explained that so you can understand it

So it becomes a snowball effect, and by the time your done you've replaced all but the counter shaft.

When I replaced that fifth gear it didn't seem to have excessive freeplay on collar, but I did not have a new one to compare so you have a point there.

I will replace it next time and measure wear for future reference. Thanks for pointing this out.

I always replace engaging gears on same shaft but dogs on 3/4 main were ok and 3th gear engaging dogs in 5 looked like new so i put them back in.

Each gear costs approx. 130$ over here! I splitted the cases from my '10 CRF 2 years ago after 80 Hrs and literally every gear was worn. It still shifted ok but it looked like it wouldn't much longer, so I put everything back in and sold it. Over here you will get a shitty price for such a bike anyway.

Edited by frankdecrosser

I have an 2010 crf foofiveoo which i had to replace the gear drum on, has about 70hrs on it..

It looks like I've been fortunate with an 09 & 10 model never having any tranny problems in mx use.

Me too. I guess we are the lucky ones.

I think thr problem is that the shift fork only places 3rd into 5th 0.115" when it bottoms out at something like more than 0.2"

I wish I could look at the newer 4 dog gears.