What fuel do you run in your KX450F?

I have been riding for 35 years but I got out of the dirtbike thing in 2002.

I just picked up a KX450F and am getting back into this. These 4 strokes are awesome machines and I am glad I got one.

I have been using 91 octane premium in it but was wondering if you guys run anything else or add octane to your mixture?

That sucks, mine is straight 91.

Was wondering about mixing some racing fuel in with my 91. I know you can get 114, 116, 118 octane levels but was wondering if this would hurt the bike engine?

Here in Australia I run 98 octane in our 250's and 450's and they go really well. Noticeably better then 91 octane. Not sure how they would go with over 100 octane because its not for sale here. There is definitely no problem with 98 though. I use it in my subaru and it gets better mileage too.

I run straight VP U4.4. I made the dealer put it in my bike

off the showroom floor.

I think it burns very clean and is always consistent from barrel

to barrel.

I also use it bc I get it at a Great price deliverd to my door.

An engine runs best with the lowest octane it can tolerate without detonating. This can vary depending on elevation, temperature and engine condition among other things.

Running higher octane or race fuel is a waste of time and money as long as you have a consistant source and don't need to worry about getting a bad batch.

• Like 1

An engine runs best with the lowest octane it can tolerate without detonating. This can vary depending on elevation, temperature and engine condition among other things.

Running higher octane or race fuel is a waste of time and money as long as you have a consistant source and don't need to worry about getting a bad batch.

There's an absolute definite increase in performance and mileage with 98 octane over 91 octane in my car.

What kind of car do you have?

I run 91 in my bike.

Brad

Gc8 wrx. The factory said that anything less then the recommended 98 octane would be damaging to the engine. I also run it in my bike and sometimes 91 depending on the fuel price. I usually put 91 in the bike unless 98 is cheap at the time I want to buy it.

Edited by Adrian_94

This is an exception to the rule... in a way.

In a computer controlled turbo engine,(or any other computer controlled engine) the knock sensor will pull timing and boost when it detects detonation so that it can run safely on lower octane fuel than is required.

If you were running the correct fuel, more octane would not increase performance.

Edited by Kroynon

Gc8 wrx. The factory said that anything less then the recommended 98 octane would be damaging to the engine. I also run it in my bike and sometimes 91 depending on the fuel price. I usually put 91 in the bike unless 98 is cheap at the time I want to buy it.

Australia does not measure octane the same as USA.....

• 2 weeks later...

I also run it in my bike and sometimes 91 depending on the fuel price. I usually put 91 in the bike unless 98 is cheap at the time I want to buy it.

Never put Australian 91 in your KX450F. Even with Aus 95 we should run a mild map and avoid hard engine loads. Our 98 is about the same as 94 in the states.