Sign in to follow this  

best way to clean plastics

The absolute best way to clean plastics is take them off bike and spray them with vinyl siding power wash cleaner. I use Krud Kutter. It makes my plastics clean as new no matter how many scratches are filled with dirt and grime. You can do it on the bike, but it is strong stuff and can react with some metals. I follow the directions on the back and make it slightly stronger. I mix it up and put it in a bug sprayer, spray then power wash. It literally makes my whole bike frame engine and all look like the bikes in the pits at supercross. NEW.

I dont know were u come from but 100 grit is dam small haha. The mess grit the less rough. 1500 is horribly rough

Sorry, this is just plain wrong. The lower the number the rougher it is. 100 grit would gouge the plastics. With any sandpaper (like 1500/2000 grit) you will have to follow up with a buffer and some polishing compound.

• Like 1

I dont know were u come from but 100 grit is dam small haha. The mess grit the less rough. 1500 is horribly rough

100 is like boulders in my back yard =P. may as well just dump the bike at 100 grit.

• Like 1

??? completely basackwards! 100= 100pieces of grit per square inch and 1500 = 1500 pieces of grit per square inch.

Joe

On my RM, the side number plates had a bunch of black scuffs/grime n stuff on them, that Simple Green or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser couldnt get off. My last resort was to buy new plastics because the old ones had some scuffs and stains on them that wouldnt come off. What I decided to try, as a last ditch effort turned out to be what should have been my first choice seeing as I use it almost everytime I'm in the garage and my hands get dirty. I took my plastics, and squirted some Fast-Orange hand cleaner. You know, the stuff that smells like oranges, has grit to it and looks like..well..you get it. I squirted some on the plastics, and took a scrub brush (a tooth brush would work as well) and scrubbed the crap out of the plastics. Then, when the hand cleaner/de-greaser turned brown, I hosed off the plastics, put more on and went back to scrubbing. After about 5 minutes or scrubbing in circles and applying pressure, 80% of the crap that was making my plastics look old, worn out and beat was gone. They look great now. I'd recommend doing it when your'e washing your bike as clean up will be easier. Chances are, most of the mud stains or boot scuffs will come off.

On my RM, the side number plates had a bunch of black scuffs/grime n stuff on them, that Simple Green or a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser couldnt get off. My last resort was to buy new plastics because the old ones had some scuffs and stains on them that wouldnt come off. What I decided to try, as a last ditch effort turned out to be what should have been my first choice seeing as I use it almost everytime I'm in the garage and my hands get dirty. I took my plastics, and squirted some Fast-Orange hand cleaner. You know, the stuff that smells like oranges, has grit to it and looks like..well..you get it. I squirted some on the plastics, and took a scrub brush (a tooth brush would work as well) and scrubbed the crap out of the plastics. Then, when the hand cleaner/de-greaser turned brown, I hosed off the plastics, put more on and went back to scrubbing. After about 5 minutes or scrubbing in circles and applying pressure, 80% of the crap that was making my plastics look old, worn out and beat was gone. They look great now. I'd recommend doing it when your'e washing your bike as clean up will be easier. Chances are, most of the mud stains or boot scuffs will come off.

Hey mate

We have the orange scrub in AUS

It could be a bit abrasive on delicate stuff, but hey, It's got some cleaning ability for sure :ride:

The absolute best way to clean plastics is take them off bike and spray them with vinyl siding power wash cleaner. I use Krud Kutter. It makes my plastics clean as new no matter how many scratches are filled with dirt and grime. You can do it on the bike, but it is strong stuff and can react with some metals. I follow the directions on the back and make it slightly stronger. I mix it up and put it in a bug sprayer, spray then power wash. It literally makes my whole bike frame engine and all look like the bikes in the pits at supercross. NEW.

I'm going to have to try this. This stuff is pretty cheap. Do you do any scrubbing?

I'm going to have to try this. This stuff is pretty cheap. Do you do any scrubbing?

I rinse bike, spray with bug sprayer. Sit 5 min. Power wash. It does a great job on raw aluminum and plastics. It does mess with some of the stock fasteners with a slight change in color .noyhing drastic.