Slavens Mountain Jet Kit

I bought the mountain jet kit from Jeff Slaven and have had good success with it. I am running the #38 pilot, 150 main and #2 position on the needle. I ride between 7K and 10.5K on single track in northern Utah (America Fork if your familiar with the area). I am running 50:1 Klotz with 91 octane gas and no octane booster.

I am getting quite a bit of oil leaking from the joint between the pipe and the silencer. Also up high my bike tries to stall when I stop. Although my Rekluse clutch leverless setup has some influence on stalling I don't have this problem when lower down the mountain. Enough oil is leaking out the joint it is splattering on my swing arm, shock and clutch case.

My thought was to put in a #35 pilot. I was hoping someone here would be able to offer a possible solution.

Does the slavens jet kit come with a different needle or does it use the stocker? It's weird because on my 200 the book says #40 pilot and a 160 main but I have a JD kit in there now and it is #38 pilot and a 170 main. With the book jetting it was spooging like a mofo out of my FMF Q stealth but I richened it up with that thicker needle and it doesn't spooge a bit. I may be able to drop by my shop later and see what my brother is running in his 300, we ride in Nothern UT as well.

You seem rich on the pilot and lean on the main for that altitude.

35 PJ is what I run and just change the "H" needle in 2nd clip.

Basically, follow the owners manual to get a good starting place.

Email Slavens. I believe the needles are unique to his specs but talk to the man.

No I am spot on. You have to actually test the set up to see if it is correct. A 35 and a 38 had my AS at less than 1 turn out, and a lean bog at any setting over a turn out. The AS should be between 1-1-1/2 out or you have the wrong jet. This is on a 2012 300.. Slavens head cut and decked cylinder with .4 gasket per Jeff.

FWIW Slavens jet kit and needle are for 6500' and up. The needle is nothing special just has the number removed.

Every KTM manual since 91 that I have had has the jetting spec's on the rich side.

Edited by zilla

You seem rich on the pilot and lean on the main for that altitude.

35 PJ is what I run and just change the "H" needle in 2nd clip.

Basically, follow the owners manual to get a good starting place.

Email Slavens. I believe the needles are unique to his specs but talk to the man.

Thanks I did try a 35 pilot jet but when I tested for a lean condition as Jeff Slavens shows on his youtube video the bike was clearly lean. I put the 38 back in and no more lean condition. That said, I fouled a plug the other day after 100 miles of slow high altitude (8-10K) riding.

If its leaking from the exhaust-silencer joint, you need to put a zip tie on both ends of the rubber peice that holds them together. When I rebuilt my bike from top to bottom, I forgot to do that, spooge was everywhere.

Yep that's what Jeff told me to do as well...no more oil leaking from the joint. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

No I am spot on. You have to actually test the set up to see if it is correct. A 35 and a 38 had my AS at less than 1 turn out, and a lean bog at any setting over a turn out. The AS should be between 1-1-1/2 out or you have the wrong jet. This is on a 2012 300.. Slavens head cut and decked cylinder with .4 gasket per Jeff.

FWIW Slavens jet kit and needle are for 6500' and up. The needle is nothing special just has the number removed.

Every KTM manual since 91 that I have had has the jetting spec's on the rich side.

What is the needle Jeff is using? N2ZL?

Don't know, the number is machined off. He did the research and testing so I pay him for his knowledge by purchasing the jet kit.,. He's got it right and that's the business he is in.