Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha pw50 power. Help?

What can I do to give my sons pw50 more get up and go. It doesn't want to take off very fast. Which can be a problem trying to get up a hill too.

I've owned two pw50's and other than making sure the throttle "safe" screw is out all the way, I don't know of a way to make it take off quicker. It has a straight pipe and shaft drive too which doesn't help.

Or you could go here http://pwonly.com/PW50.htm and spend lotsa of money. :)

Appears to be some performance parts.

These bikes came with a exaust restrictor (washer) that could be put in between the pipe and exaust port to slow them down more for beginers along with the throttle restricter screw, make sure this isnt still in there. also check the baffel in the end of the muffler for being plugged,you could also remove it for a little more power if you dont mind more noise.

If it has alot of hard miles on it you might want to check out the auto clutch also.

Edited by raden

1. Back off the throttle tube governor screw.

2. Remove the exhaust header restrictor washer.

3. Open up the muffler internal baffle. Just making it a little louder but it'll be a whole lot faster. You pull the core out and do some bending and drilling in the front end then reinstall it.

4. Remove the rev limiter. It's the the little box in the wiring which goes nowhere and looks like it does nothing. Just unplug it. You lose the start/run function on the right handle bar, but who needs that if you want more speed.

If your kid rides on soft dirt then put some soft-mid tires on it. MX51s are available in 10" and they'll bite into loam or grass way better than the stock hard terrain tires.

The otherwise stock bike is transformed with the above simple mods, so only put quality 2 stroke oil in the oil res, and put some good Shell or Delo 400 diesel oil in the transmission to keep that little clutch happy for years. Keep an eye on the headstem bearings for excess play.

Edited by numroe

These bikes came with a exaust restrictor (washer) that could be put in between the pipe and exaust port to slow them down more for beginers along with the throttle restricter screw, make sure this isnt still in there. also check the baffel in the end of the muffler for being plugged,you could also remove it for a little more power if you dont mind more noise.

If it has alot of hard miles on it you might want to check out the auto clutch also.

Throttle screw and Baffle were taken out last year. Did not know about the exhaust restrictor. I will get this out tonight. Thanks a ton!

1. Back off the throttle tube governor screw.

2. Remove the exhaust header restrictor washer.

3. Open up the muffler internal baffle. Just making it a little louder but it'll be a whole lot faster. You pull the core out and do some bending and drilling in the front end then reinstall it.

4. Remove the rev limiter. It's the the little box in the wiring which goes nowhere and looks like it does nothing. Just unplug it. You lose the start/run function on the right handle bar, but who needs that if you want more speed.

If your kid rides on soft dirt then put some soft-mid tires on it. MX51s are available in 10" and they'll bite into loam or grass way better than the stock hard terrain tires.

The otherwise stock bike is transformed with the above simple mods, so only put quality 2 stroke oil in the oil res, and put some good Shell or Delo 400 diesel oil in the transmission to keep that little clutch happy for years. Keep an eye on the headstem bearings for excess play.

I've noticed that wiring doesn't do much. Got the connectors wet one day washing it. Unplugged the wires and it started right up. So I can leave this unplugged? Actually washed it yesterday too and it did the same thing. Went ahead and dried the wires and plugged them back in. Guess I will remove this tonight. I'm running Maxima injector oil. Should I use something else? A friend of mine used to work for a motorcycle dealer and said they have removed the injector before and made it a premix bike. Thoughts on this idea? Diesel Transmission oil? Can't remember what is in his bike, but I like Rotella. Thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, leave the rev imiter unplugged. The motor will rev out real nicely.

I meant diesel motor oil in the trans. Like Delo 400, or Rotella (Rimula X3 in Aus and Europe). Same stuff many of us use in our bikes (and everything else we own).

Any Maxima 2-stroke oil would be fine. I used Castrol TTS in our PW50 and it ran hard for 3 kids for 8 years, and my son was last on it and he gave the PW50 a good work out. I'd never run premix in a PW50. I thought the oil pump worked great and made life too easy. Plus you can adjust the oil pump if you feel like it.

A good friend bought our bike and it's still going great for his little man on the same motor and clutch. Impressive motor. I actually went thru quite a lot of parts on ours. Like air filters, brakes, foot pegs, grips, stem bearings, forks, tires, throttle and choke cables. Whatever, but it was a good bike. I like Twinair filters, but I rarely bought genuine Yam parts for it because I found a local shop that sold aftermarket PW50 parts real cheap.

If you're wheels get bent you can easily hammer them back into shape with a big mallet and some blocks of timber.

Water is the killer problem for the electrics and the choke and throttle cables. It's a really good thing to wrap the split join in the throttle cable with rubber-weld tape, and then lube the cable heavily inside. I took our choke cable off for years, and plugged the carb hole with a plastic M6 bolt, and used a sponge over the air intake to literally choke the motor for cold starts. That actually made starting easier. One kick!