2013 RMZ450 Maintenance Question

Hello,

I just picked up a new '13 RMZ450 and I just want to say I love this bike. This bike handles like a dream, motor is so smooth its unbelievable. Well it vibrates... I decided to get this bike coming off of an 07 yz450 that I've ridden for the last 5-6 years. The first ride on a friends RMZ I knew it was time to make a change. I was due for an upgrade sooner or later.

I just put the first .7 hour on the meter and drained the factory fill oil.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me out:

1.) I replaced the oil filter with a new one (oem), cleaned the strainer no.1 as stated in the manual, how many of you cleaned strainer no.2 after initial break in? Did you buy a new case cover gasket? I'm trying to decide before I fill the engine with oil.

2.) What is everyone's routine for maintenance on this bike? More specifically, how often is everyone cleaning the strainers?

My maintenance on the yz was: change the oil and clean the scotts oil filter about every 4 hours with Motul 300v. Beginner track rider.

I plan on doing that same routine, but obviously now with strainers I'd like to get some clarification.

• Like 1

And after my break in when I change oil I checked all strainers. When removing the gasket for the second strainer I was careful not to rip it and just re-used it. If you don't have a manual I could post some pics later on if that will help then everyone will have a copy if needed

I have a manual and I'm very familiar with it. I'm just sort of shocked that the bike requires us to pull the magneto cover off unbolt the oil pump assembly to clean strainer no.2.

I asked my friend who has a new rmz 450 and he was unaware of the second strainer.

It makes sense to do it as my oil filter was filled with liquid gasket or similar stuff.

I understand the maintenance schedule says to inspect the strainers every 6 hours. Is everyone doing that?

Damn this bike is gonna be expensive.

Ive never done that? Pick how many hours you want to change at, I do between 4 and 8 depending on what type of riding I have been doing. I always do an oil filter with fresh oil. I dump the oil out of the sump bolt, then out of the left hand side where the white plastic cover is, about every 3rd ride I will check the screen on the strainer that's just by the gear shifter. And that's it, 4 RMZs with over 100hrs on all of them and no issues ever!

I always run Motul 5100 and a good quality paper filter like k&n, hiflo etc. Oems are to expensive

Quick cheap and easy

Edited by Rotaholic

...about every 3rd ride I will check the screen on the strainer that's just by the gear shifter. And that's it, 4 RMZs with over 100hrs on all of them and no issues ever!

So rotaholic, you're saying you've never checked or cleaned strainer no.2?

I change oil and filter every 4-5hrs and run oem filters and Suzuki oil. I clean the strainer with the magnet every change and the one on the pump pick up every other.

This is probably what I'll do, but do you reuse the cover gasket or get a new one each time? Manual says to install a new gasket.

This is probably what I'll do, but do you reuse the cover gasket or get a new one each time? Manual says to install a new gasket.

I reuse it. I coat it with grease when reinstalling and haven't had one stick yet.

Edited by ph363

I just checked mine. Perfectly clean nothing on it. This is after about an hour of break in time. Strainer no.1 was filthy though.

i´ve owned 4 of the current RMZ -08-10-11 and now -13 an i´ve never cleaned the second strainer. I clean the 1st every oil change.

You just trust that nothing will be there? Do you check it at least?

most of the debris is caught by strainer no 1 as its the first line of defense. strainer no. 2 is the same mesh as a strainer no.1 and even if anything gets past that your filter will catch it before going into the motor. other manufacturers only have 1 strainer. i personally have never cleaned the internal strainer until i had to do a bottom end and even then it was clean

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if you guys are getting about this much debris in your strainer #1? I change it every 4-5 hrs. I keep getting small slivers of metal, is that normal? This is my first Suzuki

Also do you need any special tools do you need to get to Screen #2?

I get small metal shavings in mine to, the second oil changed it was the most but that was after the first real hard ride. I pick my strainer apart every oil change and clean it without the magnet in it with break clean and air. And i´ve never cleaned strainer #2. 

I was wondering if you guys are getting about this much debris in your strainer #1? I change it every 4-5 hrs. I keep getting small slivers of metal, is that normal? This is my first Suzuki

Also do you need any special tools do you need to get to Screen #2?

Looks normal... after you really get on it hard for a few long ride days it will start to ease up on the metal shavings. I've had a few every oil change so far, but there are less in there every time as well.

Edited by BDubb106
  • Like 1