LED Flasher Unit - Speedo Indicator Light Always Flashing

Hi Guys / Gals,

I just bought myself an 03 WR450F, to go along with my 05 YZ450F :p

Anyway, I have an issue...

When I bought the bike the wiring harness was shot to bits, all the ADR stuff was pulled off the bike (indicators, mirrors, headlight, tail light, brake sensors, number plate light/holder... etc. etc.

Basically the guy before me went at it with a pair of side cutters and destroyed everything...

Anyway, I have now wired everything back together and gone with all new OEM parts, with the exception of indicators, I wanted LED :S

So, I bought a LED flasher unit, now everything works, all electrics... but, not quite everything...

I have this issue where, no indicators are actually on, or even when they are... the indicator light on the speedo just flashes...

I assume if I pull the third wire from the flasher unit that goes to the speedo it will stop it, but, then it won't work... and I would like to have it working if possible...

Has anyone ever had this issue and knows of a fix?

I have read of where people have problems that the indicator light flashes and then both right and left indicators flash and you need a diode... but, my issue is simply the indicator light just flashes non-stop... indicators are still fully functional.

Any help would be awesome... I am kinda loosing my mind with this...

Aaron.

Something is either not wired correctly or it sounds like the LEDs lack of resistance is telling the flasher monitor that the relay is 'blinking'. Without having an Aussie wiring diagram in front of me I think its the latter, have you tried disconnecting the signals to see of it stops? Usually with LED replacements you either need to add resistors to the signals or replace the relay with a sold state unit.

Some thoughts at least.

Mike

G'day Mike,

Yeah I am sure the wiring is all correct now.

I have purchased a solid-state flasher relay and even with the indicators off, the indicator notification light still flashes... strange definitely...

Really no one...

I am assuming the relay is forked...

Edited by STOIE

Really no one...

I am assuming the relay is forked...

Like I asked earlier, have you physically unhooked all the signals to see what it does? If it goes away then there is something with the signals and their load on the system, relay or how they are wired, if not its the wiring to the indicator light itself.

Do you have a manual? If not you're guessing, get or down load a manual, lots of links on here already.

I mean this nicely but its a simple system, there is nothing weirdly connected or dependent so it has to be something simple. The indicator light usually gets a signal from the flasher, so start tracing the wiring back until you find what is driving it to flash. My thought (again, I do not have the Aussie wiring diagram and am not there) is unless the signal relay is always clicking you have wiring mixed and something else is feeding your indicator light. That's a guess though.

Sorry mate, the disconnect the actual lights part didn't quite sink in... my bad!

Will have to give that a go, I have been over the manual and the ADR wiring diagram (how I put it all back together).

US apparently differs from AU, but, you are 100% correct it is a very simple system.

The way I see it (and have it connected):

Live goes to flasher relay...

Flasher relay goes to control block... (and speedo notification lamp -> speedo goes to neutral)

Control block goes to indicators (one loop for left, one for right)...

Indicators go back to neutral...

I mean the control block switch should (and is) be breaking the circuit to the lights themselves...

Which means the only other circuit is through the speedo, from it's neutral to the live coming from the flasher relay...

The problem is, that makes perfect sense, there is a constant circuit through the speedo... how is the relay meant to activate this only when it has a circuit through the indicators themselves...

Do I just piss off the 3rd pin going to the speedo and wire that line into the same pin that goes to the control block? - Wait that won't work, that's just silly... and will do the exact same thing...

Edited by STOIE

Okay, think I have this figured...

After much, much searching I found this... Narva 68251BL...

Generally speaking 90% of 3-pin flasher units have the following pins: 31, 49, 49a (or E, B, L) depending on the country of origin.

This is the type I currently have, they (are supposed to) hookup as follows:

+VE (live) to 49 (B).

-VE (neutral) to 31 (E).

49a (L) to control block (indicator switch).

Control block (indicator switch) to indicators and pilot lamp (indicator "dash" light).

The Narva 68251BL is a 3-Pin with Pilot flasher unit, it connects as follows:

+VE (live) to X.

P to pilot lamp (indicator "dash" light).

L to control block (indicator switch).

Control block (indicator switch) to indicators.

I'm now 100% sure I have the wrong flasher unit.

Waiting for my 68251BL to get here.