Sign in to follow this  

CRF or Berg?

So one more question, notwithstanding knowing that I need to just go ride one.

I've heard they have a loud "intake honk," with the air filter right in front of the seat. I'm thinking that will annoy me.

Did that bother any of you?

Thanks,

Jeff

I did the intake noise. When the engine is up on the cam and the throttle is wound, the intake sound is just pure horsepower. Combine that with a freer flowing exhaust and it is sweet indeed :)

My '10 FE 450 has 135 hours on it now. Had the fuel pump issue like everybody else, replaced it with an aftermarket Cal Cycle unit for a Husky for $125. Whoopie do. Get the fuel pump squared away and add an inline fuel filter (many of us 'Berg guys use an 11 micron part from the fuel injected Can-Am quads) and the 'Berg is very reliable. I added a KTM fan kit to mine with a lower temp BMW car thermo switch. I have a Trail Tech panel on my bike, the temp rarely goes over 205F in brutal terrain and is around 175F in general. The bike has been really solid. The 'Berg has a stout 211 watt stator, run the fan as much as you want. I added heated grips to mine for cold weather rides. Life is good!

While I am babbling on, I used to have a DRZ400. That bike had it's faults, but it hooked up really well, had a nice flywheel feel to it. The 'Berg shares that good trait with the DRZ. It hooks up, does not stall. The 'Berg has the added attraction of way less weight and significantly more horsepower. The 2 stroke 300s are serious tools - you know that from your Gas Gas. My buddy has a Nambotin Replica, sweet bike! Anyway, the 300cc 2 strokes are the best enduro race bikes, but I think the FE450 is the best serious trail bike of all time. If you can financially swing it, keep the Gasser and get a 'Berg. That would be a great stable!

Edited by Duken4evr

Can anyone compare the slant Berg FX450 to a Honda CRF450? I rode my buddy's CRF and loved it - but I'm thinking "Berg," though I've never ridden one. I'm not on the track, but in the woods, btw.

Thanks,

Jeff

i also had a crf450x,now have a 13 te300, worlds apart.

i have the fs 570 sumo. 2011 model. great power. great handling. 240 hours and 11000+ miles and valves are still spot on. i'm considering a te300 as my next bike because of how much i like it. just my experience.

yep, i'm sold on the longevity side. i ride with two guys who love their CRFs but they have to do their top ends fairly frequently. no one ever seems to work on the 70 degree bergs. a guy in spain runs a hire fleet of them, he did the rings on them at 15000km and said he shouldn't have bothered, everything still looked new. his personal bike is an FE390 and he's clocked up 40000km without a rebuild.

as noted above, the two consistent issues were dodgy fuel pumps until the oct 2010 models, and the inline fuel filter mesh was the wrong grade and clogged easily, fixed in 2012 (at least here is oz).

if i listen for it i notice the air intake at idle but not once underway.

Did not even occur to me you were considering a CR450R. That is a whole different animal, with the opertive word being animal.

Would not want to attempt technical enduro riding on an "R" though. 1st gear too tall, power too explosive. It is possible to have too much. I would still go with the "X" for off road though. 450 MX bikes are fun off road for about 10 minutes of shits and giggles but if you are really riding in true hard core off road terrain, they quickly kick your ass. Wrong tool for the job. An enduro bike sucks on an MX track, and an MX bike sucks equally bad off road, unless you are a pro, the bike is dialed in right, and you are riding more open terrain.

ok well i agree on most but i have a mx and woods bike the woods bike is a lot harder to ride on the track then the mx bike is to ride in the woods

I've heard they have a loud "intake honk," with the air filter right in front of the seat. I'm thinking that will annoy me.

FWIW I'm not big on noisy bikes and I loooooove the intake noise. It's character / "voice" more than noise. YMMV :)

Now that I have some seat time on my new 570, I can compare to my old crf. Obviously, this isn't a 450 but it is fairly mellow for a big bore. You twist that wrist though and she scoots. For trails, I prefer the FE. Faster single track, the crf was awesome though. They handle well. For me, the FE is overall better. The FI is just awesome. Oh and electric start. I'm still getting used to the rekluse though. Unfortunately, I just found out I have to have surgery on my elbow. Bummer!!! Right after picking up the berg too.

Both are good bikes, but for the type of riding I do, the FE wins hands down. Plus it's plated here in TN. :D

I owned a CRF450x for 3 years. Raced it in heaps of pony express races and some bigger cross country races. It was a good bike but it cost a fortune to run. Replace valves with stainless ones. Punched a hole through the clutch case leading to complete bearing replacement in the gearbox. Then the final straw was a big end bearing failure resulting in a new crankshaft.

I bought a new Berg 450FE in 2012. It's not as aggressive as the 450x but it out performs it in every other way. Love it. It does make a lot of intake noise though. Especially in a long race like the Finke Desert Race. The air filter access makes up for that though. They will be collectors items in the future.