Painting Plastics

I spray painted numbers on my DRZ250. I used masking tape and they came out pretty good. I have the money for graphics but they aren't my first priority.

Edited by D-rek07

Wow wouldn't even consider painting the plastic on my bike just ad 60 bucks to the money your going to waste on paint and buy new plastic. It will chip off and look like crap in know time at all

Completely not true. You have to use the right paint. I painted my old bike and it lasted the whole year before I sold it.

Completely not true. You have to use the right paint. I painted my old bike and it lasted the whole year before I sold it.

not trying to get into a debate about this but what is the right paint and what kind of riding do you do just casual trail riding I'm not saying the paint won't stick I'm saying after some roost crashing and washing the paint will chip off

not trying to get into a debate about this but what is the right paint and what kind of riding do you do just casual trail riding I'm not saying the paint won't stick I'm saying after some roost crashing and washing the paint will chip off

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get in a conflict. I didn't think I would ever be part of the thumpertalk drama. I don't remember what kind it was, it was some kind of plastic paint. All I do is trail riding and some track days but not racing. I forgot about the serious racers.

Edited by D-rek07

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get in a conflict. I didn't think I would ever be part of the thumpertalk drama. I don't remember what kind it was, it was some kind of plastic paint. All I do is trail riding and some track days but not racing. I forgot about the serious racers.

lol no drama here was just wondering

krylon fusion.....

I say skip the paint

I used duplacolor plastic spray paint with plastic paint adhesion promoter on my old CR rode it once than sold it looked fine just not as shiny. I have no long term input but after 15 bucks, day of prepping and painting it’s still just a old dirt bike.

Ok whats going to happen is (Saying in experience cause i bought it painted) Your going to love it! BUT.... Once u scratch a little u see it and it looks like junk cause thats all u think about. Then you will end up buying new plastics and you will think what a waste of time should have done it from the start! Just saying

• Like 1

If you have time on your hands on a rainy day, you can use progressively finer sandpaper (220 to 400 to 600 to 800 . . . even 1000 if you really want to go crazy) and then coat with Mop & Glow. I'll post the after of our latest bike this afternoon. It had black plastics that were all chewed up. Now it looks new. Not much time invested, either.

After use and cleaning with dish soap and water, the Mop&Glow will hold up. A quick layer of that stuff after cleaning, and the bike will look new again. Not much luck with paint on MX plastic.

Dragon67, that would work but I was wanting to go from white to black. I'm gettin a graphics kit but I like the black plastics. I'm not looking for a showroom finish, just something that will hold up to some abuse. I'm going to try it and put a graphics kit on afterwards. Just wanted some input on what guys were using as far as aerosal paint. I've only done sleds with actual automotive paint followed by sanding and buffing.

I painted my rear fender & shrouds, black & clear coated the rest with just a high gloss after i sanded them all ( a month ago).

Since the shrouds don't really get touched or hit, those are fine. Plus I put graphics over them.

The rear fender got screwed up from being in the bed of a truck with two other bikes, but i can just sand it again & repaint it. no biggie.

The rest are fine, you can't see the imperfections in the clear coat as much & it brightens the color of it.

I wouldn't paint the whole bike a different color because it'll become noticeable after a while.

However it did hold up to the pressure washer.

o7rpqo.jpg

Edited by justineee