Sign in to follow this  

05 WR450 to 450XCF

Looking for opinions. I ride almost exclusively woods - 6 4 230lbs. Ready to sell my 2005 WR450 it has been a great bike - main reason is I would like a little more low end snap (and just ready for a new bike). Thought about a YZ450f with some mods to set up for woods but after a lot of research/thinking, I still want estart and the yzf is likely too snappy for woods riding where you have sections of hills, deep water holes which require some lugging to glide thru. So was ready to go with a new wr450 with alum frame, EFI, etc I have heard the performance has improved over the years. But have recently been reading about the KTM 450 xcf which seems like it is perfect for my interest of having a higer performance woods bike - basically KTM has done the work of converting a MX bike to woods - still has the performance but bike has been modified for woods riding. Am I reading this correctly? I have never ridden a KTM.

Man, the 450xcf is a killer bike and probably exactly what your looking for BUT, I have ridden the new WR450 (a highly reworked one) and I thought it was down right fantastic....The bike handled so well, motor was super crisp and the suspension and handling was at the top! And this was a bike that wasn't setup for me at all.....

Last year, I sold my perfectly setup and finely tuned 05 wr450 so that I could use my 08 450xcf as my primary bike. Although its not the 2013 model, its is still an excellent bike.

First things first, if you are looking for low end snap, you will never get it in a KTM. The are very noticeably more mellow on the bottom end. Not soft, just a lot more mellow. You have to rev it a little more. THere are times when I really miss the grunt of the WR, but, that would be the only performance advantage it has, if that is an advantage. MId range and top end is much healthier, its lighter by a lot, the brakes... well... I never understood how terribly poor the brakes were on my yamaha til I rode the KTM. I can now fully stop the bike with one finger. Even the seating position, I think, Is better than the KTM, although, you'll need a slightly softer seat if you plan on sitting a lot. I think its actually easier to work on the KTM and its just as reliable. The weight difference alone is amazing.

I put a fww, rekluse and a throttle cam on mine to smooth out the low end on my KTM even more. Its very controllable at slow speeds, and just plain wicked at mid throttle and up.

If you get the 2013, I would imagine you'd have an even better bike than mine with fuel injection and less weight.

Anyway, its a good step up from the 05 wr450

So here's my take.. Having owned 3 wr450's and now I'm on my second 450XCF I think I'm somewhat qualified to respond to your post. Anyhow, the nitty gritty is, the WR is a trail bike the XCF is a race bike built for haulin the mail on the track or trail. It's less forgiving than the WR because of this, but the payoff is well worth it once you adjust. As for the low end grunt compared to the WR, well it's very much on par but you have to realize that the WR is geared lower to start with and that makes a significant difference, again this is just something you have to adjust to or put lower final drive gears on.

The XCF in my opinion is a superior bike in every way and will out perform any WR out there, riders being equal of course. It really is the do it all machine with the exception of the KTM 300XC which for tight ST is better but gives up it's edge on the track, which is why I give the advantage to the 450XCF. So I'd also like to add that the 08-10 XCF was a great machine but it really does not compare the the '13, this new bike is the best bike I've ever thrown a leg over!

Thanks for the responses - given that you guys have owned WR's you understand exactly where I am coming from. I also posted on the WR forum - seems like a lot of people like the Beta - I must be living under a rock - never heard of them until now. But will definitely do some research.

I am leaning toward the KTM 450 xcf. Wish I could test ride the KTM and new WR. The truth is - I am not a good enough rider to really push any of these bikes to their limits - but I have spent time this year really working on my skills and want to try something new.

Thanks again.

Sounds like you are set on the 450xcf which like stated above is a great bike. Here's some food for thought, I know you said you want some snap, but not to much snap like a yz 450. I was in the same exact boat so I bought a 350sxf and set it up for the woods. In my opinion its perfect, plenty of snap yet still a rev happy motor, and light/well balanced for the trail.