Sign in to follow this  

sustained RPM cruising

Hello all,

Just got back from a 150 mile ride today on the 450x. I'm a bit concerned about sustained RPM's during long stretches of dirt. At about 55mph I'm pushing 6k+ rpm with stock gearing. Is that safe on the 450x? I run the full bottle of honda red trans fluid and running Mobil 1 full syn. on the engine side. Is it extremely hard on the bike to run 30 miles of 5k to 6k rpm at a stretch?

I'm hoping it's ok, as I'm gearing up to do some 500+ mile jaunts later this summer. Just curious what others think...

Hello all,

Just got back from a 150 mile ride today on the 450x. I'm a bit concerned about sustained RPM's during long stretches of dirt. At about 55mph I'm pushing 6k+ rpm with stock gearing. Is that safe on the 450x? I run the full bottle of honda red trans fluid and running Mobil 1 full syn. on the engine side. Is it extremely hard on the bike to run 30 miles of 5k to 6k rpm at a stretch?

I'm hoping it's ok, as I'm gearing up to do some 500+ mile jaunts later this summer. Just curious what others think...

Nothing to worry about.

We routinely run hundreds of miles at race pace running rpms much higher than 5000 to 6000.

If it can't take it, it deserves to die. Also who's advising a full quart?

Well, yeah, if you don't have to pay for it, I guess. But I'm guessing no one here is sponsored, so....

Honda off-road teams have unofficially been recommending a full qt in the transmission since 2005

You should change the engine oil after a 150 mile ride anyway.

Hi Krannie. Running a full qt of transmission oil (0,95l) is that with oem clutch cover or with the larger Hinson cover?

And are there any unofficial recommendations on the engine oil also?

Never mind sustained cruising: these bikes can withstand sustained revlimiting. Don't worry about it. Just change oil regularly and keep an eye on the valves.

Thanks for the input everyone... makes me feel much better about it. I change the engine and trans oil more than regular, so no worries there. Just need to replace the stock torture seat and get a larger tank, and I'll be in business for the long haul!

At about 55mph I'm pushing 6k+ rpm with stock gearing. Is that safe on the 450x?

Not sure you can quantify "safe", but 6K is only 50% of the available rpms, so there shouldn't be any problems with that.

However in general, the higher the rpms, the more wear and tear you have, so your idea of gearing up is a good one. I'd shoot for about a thousand rpms less.

To help with that, check out:

www.gearingcommander.com

Jim.

I just checkedyou must not have stock gearing. Stock gearing at 55 mph in 5th is 3,940 rpms.

Jim.

Scratch that; I just realized I had it set for kph. 6000 rpms is right on the money for 55 mph.

Jim.