Sign in to follow this  

Fan overheat/overload? Does it exist?

So I'm riding around in the farkin hot desert near Moab, on stuff steep and loose enough that a loser like I is spending a lot of time in first gear, so I have my fan thermostat override switch on to keep her from starting to get hot. How's that for a sorta long sentence? Oh yeah, back to topic: Strange thing though, I notice my fan turning itself off when the key is on but the motor stopped. What's up with that? I didn't shlep my manual out here with me, so I'm stuck with the great wisdom of TT, but Noble is AWOL. Maybe one of the rest of y'all knows. Howzaboutit?

• Like 1

OK to clarify - You have the fan override switch on, the key on but the fan goes off when the motor stops running. I do not have an explanation for that. Do you still have headlight and everything else still working? How is the override switch connected? Are you turning the motor off with the kill switch or just stalling it with the clutch?

i also have the SSW fan on/off switch, the other day while climbing in first gear, my fan automatically came on, later when i turned off the bike, the fan was still on, if i turn the fan on myself, and then turn the bike off, it will turn off, but when it goes on automatically, it will still stay on if the bike is turned off.

not sure if that helps or not, i notice my fan came on the other day, the coolant temps were around 180+

OK to clarify - You have the fan override switch on, the key on but the fan goes off when the motor stops running. I do not have an explanation for that. Do you still have headlight and everything else still working? How is the override switch connected? Are you turning the motor off with the kill switch or just stalling it with the clutch?

Well, when I kill the motor, I'm using the key. I have the SSW override switch and installed it plug-n-play with their inline connectors. It normally works the way I expect, but the last few days in the desert, the fan turns off after a moment with things turned on but no engine running. Everything else is working normally: headlight, etc. . . . Bike starts fine, no other symptoms that I've noticed, just the fan turns off after a moment with the key on but no motor running like it's being protected by a thermal overload.

Hmmmnnnnn . . . .

6 weeks of trail and dual sport in Idaho. Leaving again soon. It is possible the fan motor has a thermal switch in it. I'm not aware that it does but possible. The fan keeps running motor idling? Seems like a thermal switch would not care if the engine was running or not. I'm thinking a problem with the override switch and the fan quits when the thermal switch in the radiator cools.

6 weeks of trail and dual sport in Idaho. Leaving again soon.

{scum} ,,,you should be ashamed of yourself :bonk: ....damn right I'm jealousthDamn.gif

I was pretty happy to get three weeks to ride the Utah & Colorado backcountry discovery routes. Add transits to/from California and it will be close to four weeks.

Actually once the motor is running, I'm usually moving so I can't hear or see if the fan starts spinning again. I'll test a bit more when I have a chance and report back. It may be a while as I've left the blistering hot deserts of Utah and am gaining altitude here in Colorado to suhwheeet coolness.

Yesterday the fan did the same sorta thing every time I paid attention while riding around Canyonlands on the White Rim Trail. Heck, for a Natl. Park, that was ride was right up there with the "roads" in Joshua Tree Natl. Park.

Further testing in hot and in cool weather seems to confirm that the fan itself has a thermal overload to protect the fan motor. That's what I think anyways, and I think that's a kewl thing.

Further testing in hot and in cool weather seems to confirm that the fan itself has a thermal overload to protect the fan motor. That's what I think anyways, and I think that's a kewl thing.

Maybe get a Fan for the Fan then?? LOL

your fan wiring from the added bypass switch may be opening up the thermal (or overload)? for example the bypass switch may turn the fan on, but when the factory temp switch closes it over amps the overload device turning the fan off but not blowing a fuse. fwiw Klr650s only use 1 radiator and a fan, slow riding I've had the fan running for hours on end, I wouldn't think the drz fan would be much differnet in design? does the blade spin freely?