Sign in to follow this  

2009 crf250r hard to start

I just rebuilt the bikes top end and got new intake valves along with re-shimming the other ones. I put the bike back together and it's HARD to kick. Not as in it takes alot of kicks but that it is hard to push the kick start lever down, also some fuel would come out the overflow off of the carburetor. What's weird is that it started up for about 7 seconds, then shut off. And at one point it was easier to start, but it's hard to start again. The carb was sitting for like 2 weeks while I was doing everything and getting parts, so maybe that could cause something? The only other cause I could thing of was that maybe the timing is off, or the (new) spark plug isn't adjusted properly? Is the cam chain tensioner messed up(i don't have the tool for it)? Not sure whatsoever...this my first time ever doing some "real" maintenance and I've enjoyed it but there are some aspects that confuse me

Have you tried to take the plug out and see if it is still hard to turn over. Also how far down did you take it?

Thanks for the replies! And yeah it was the timing, it was off by about 2 teeth. Haha I'm still

Pretty awful at figuring out the timing so I had a more experienced guy help me out. Thanks again!