Sign in to follow this  

07 YZ250F Clutch problem?

When I shift into 4th gear, the power isn't immediate or snappy. My clutch is pretty old, is it time for a new one? and what could be wrong with it?

even when im on the gas(tapped out in 3rd) then shift to 4th the throttle isn't very effective. the rmps will still rev up but im not going any faster.

IDK man this ones over my head, never had / heard of this issue. Does it feel like youre shifting from third into another third? or when you shift do the rpms drop like they should and then gradually climb (without speed increase) as you open it up? Just trying to help you clarify your issue for someone else b/c the throttle (carburetion?) is effective if you got the bike moving and that would signal theres a probably a problem somehwere in the drive train. What happens if you put it in 5th?

It doesn't take much to pop the clutch cover off and inspect the plates for excessive wear though if it were clutch related you'd more than likely experience the issue under similar load conditions in any gear.

Try this.. Ive never done it on a bike but I know it works for testing a cars clutch.

Roll at a slow speed and purposely put it in too high of a gear. Like 2-3 gears high and pin it. If the clutch is slipping instead of the bike bogging bad and the chain slapping like all hell the motor will just rev up, which means the clutch is slipping.