Sign in to follow this  

Motocross glen helen triple vs redbud triple

ok guys, who here reckons the redbud triple is/was bigger than the triple at the back of glen helen when they ran the nationals there?

I haven't been to Redbud personally, but that thing is huge. I have ridden Glen Helen and seen that one up close and I would have to say just from that perspective, it's a push. I'm guessing seeing either one in person would give you the idea that one is bigger, but 120' plus makes the point almost irrelevent. Either way, it takes some serious mojo to air those things out.

Her's a couple of videos, draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvs6kpg8eu8 Glen Helen

Red Bud
  • Like 1

I haven't been to Redbud personally, but that thing is huge. I have ridden Glen Helen and seen that one up close and I would have to say just from that perspective, it's a push. I'm guessing seeing either one in person would give you the idea that one is bigger, but 120' plus makes the point almost irrelevent. Either way, it takes some serious mojo to air those things out.

Her's a couple of videos, draw your own conclusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvs6kpg8eu8 Glen Helen

Red Bud

Never seen either in person unfortunately.... But Glen Helens from those videos anyway, looks bigger while RedBud's appears to have a shorter run to make the jump with a steeper approaching face.....

Jumps like those is why I stick to off road as opposed to mx. I dont have the testicular fortitude it would take to hit those....:blink:

Edited by husky34
  • Like 2

Pala's 160' is ridiculously huge. I'll try to find the video really quick.

cant believe that one guy did it on a 125

Been to Redbud the last two years. I didn't go back when the 2smokes ruled....but I would have to think that since the 4t has reigned, Larocco's leap isnt quite as hard to do as it was before. I mean the 450's can easily get the speed, whereas a 250 2t probably took a lil bit better drive through the corner. And, the 250 4t i think is a huge advantage to making that jump over the 125 2t. I mean you had guys mid pack on 250's who were doing it.

So, I think the difficulty of the Leap has somewhat diminished with the 4t. I could be wrong, but I swear, when you see a guy go inside line on a 450, come out of the corner relatively slow, and still make it no problem. It makes me feel this way.

That jump does have a pretty short run depending on the bike and drive if someone goes inside instead of the outside line to keep speed up, and yes, when you are walking up the hill to the gates and can see the leap, the face is very long and quite steep. It pops them up super high, and that is where the massive amount of speed is needed....not due to overall length. So therefore I feel comparing these jumps based on distance alone doesn't tell the whole story. The whole jump seems somewhat "uphill" really, so that too adds to the speed needed, and the pain that would ensue from dropping on the wrong side of the landing.

Anyhow, seen a lot of people doing it yesterday when I was at the race.

Edited by J_WR2fitty
  • Like 1

The 450's even look like they are laboring going up the face of it...I watched RV come out of the inside a few times cringing thinking he was going way too slowly to clear it.

I've ridden red bud more times than I can count. Over 10 years. There's no way I'd ever be able to do the leap. The thing is massive. You can't walk up the face of the jump, too steep. I've watched a handful of amateurs try it, only to come up short and "ride away" with demolished wheels, blown out radiators and broken legs.

Unidilla gets a honorable mention as well.

That one looks fun. Doubt you will ever see someone over jump that one. Lol

I think the Glen Helen one is a bit bigger, either way they are both to bigger then anything I've ever jumped.

Zack Bell attempted to when I was there.

He suffered a compression fx

Is that what happend??!!!! I thought he got caught up in the ruts at the bottom.

I wouldn't say a lot of guys on 250's were hitting the leap at Red Bud this weekend. A couple were but they had to come from the outside and hold that throttle till they were in the air. You have to be committed coming out of the turn for sure!

I think it's GH's. I remember a video of a off road rider hitting it, I think Kurt Caselli. It's a huge leap

I think that was from a WORCS race and it was Caselli.