Sign in to follow this  

Im trying to decide on buying a steering dampner

Yes , yes, and yes. I have two scotts and brackets for 5 of our bikes. Easy to trade out. Had to ride my 06 rmz450 the other day with out the damper that i had on it since the day I bought it new. Really missed it. Works great for all aspects of riding weather its mx, trails or whatever just a few turns here and there and presto you are ready.

• Like 1

Agreed, get a scotts, well worth the coin

• Like 1

When you install a steering damper it should feel like it's not doing anything, when in fact it's actually doing a lot. So at first your going to think that you wasted your money, although if you went on back to back rides with and without the damper that's when you would see the value in owning one. Push comes to shove you could always sell it for darn near what you paid for it. I personally own a Scotts top mount and love it. Was going to go with the sub mount but didn't want to deal with buying new bars, plus I seldom come close to smacking the bars so removing the bar pad and installing the damper isn't a concern.

• Like 2

Very beneficial. You don't really feel the Scotts when riding, but the difference is shocking when you ride the same loop with and without the damper. I would suggest you go with the over the fender mount if you are sensitive to bar height. I went with the "over the bar" mount because I can't work with high bars, and I was told that the over the bar mount would preserve the ability to make "on the fly" adjustments to the damper. Well, I never feel the need to make on the fly adjustments, and it retrospect it would have been better to have the damper out of the way over the fender.

Some dampers are specific to certain brands (e.g. motosportz). I would strongly suggest you get one that you can mount to any bike (e.g., GPR, Scotts)by changing the mount kit. I know people that have been using the same damper (with rebuilds) for 20+ years on multiple bikes.

Edited by rpt50
  • Like 1

I love my Scott's. I'm 6'4" and the 1" of added height with the sub mount really helps me out, plus I like the idea of not chesting myself with it in the event of a get off. As an added bonus, I used the BRP rubber isolated sub mount and it really helped to take some of the buzz out of my 300 xcw's bars. The only down side is you have to remove the bars to take the dampener off. If you're planning on using it on multiple bikes that may be a consideration.

Bottom line, I'd HIGHLY recommend one.

• Like 1

Very beneficial. You don't really feel the Scotts when riding, but the difference is shocking when you ride the same loop with and without the damper. I would suggest you go with the over the fender mount if you are sensitive to bar height. I went with the "over the bar" mount because I can't work with high bars, and I was told that the over the bar mount would preserve the ability to make "on the fly" adjustments to the damper. Well, I never feel the need to make on the fly adjustments, and it retrospect it would have been better to have the damper out of the way over the fender.

Some dampers are specific to certain brands (e.g. motosportz). I would strongly suggest you get one that you can mount to any bike (e.g., GPR, Scotts)by changing the mount kit. I know people that have been using the same damper (with rebuilds) for 20+ years on multiple bikes.

Just keep in mind the fender mount kits are pretty much discontinued now and we can only go above or below the bars for most bikes.

Thanks-

Eric

KTMs I feel need a stabilizer the most, especially the 2t models. I won't run a KTM 2t without a stabilizer....but, have you setup your suspension properly? Proper springs? Or even a revalve? Revalved suspension will do wonders that no stabilizer will ever come close too!

KTMs I feel need a stabilizer the most, especially the 2t models. I won't run a KTM 2t without a stabilizer....but, have you setup your suspension properly? Proper springs? Or even a revalve? Revalved suspension will do wonders that no stabilizer will ever come close too!
the suspension is set up

Before you jump on the Scotts bandwagon, there are other options out there... I prefer the fastway....

Fastway - http://www.promotobillet.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=86&osCsid=eofauuap2o0rrc7kntt033ppb4

GPR - http://www.gprstabilizer.com/prod_v4_dirt

all of my a class and aa class racing and mechanic buddys have tried them all and they all perfer scotts
  • Like 1

I have a 2013 250xc im trying to decide on getting a steering stabilizer. Do you like your? Is it worth the 500$? would you recommend one?...... (im going to get the scott if i get one)

do-it-gif.gif

• Like 2

Yes.

Scotts sub mount is the way to go.

I only recommend a submount if you are really tall. If you are average height, you'll lose a lot of leverage over the bike when the bars are raised

• Like 1

The KTM I bought recently had one on it, it's the first bike i've owned that has had one and I love it. Lots of the trails we go to have a few inches of sand on them and the thing is nowhere near as squirly as my CR(no damper) is. Would recommend.

I only recommend a submount if you are really tall. If you are average height, you'll lose a lot of leverage over the bike when the bars are raised

I bought some lower bars that only raised it maybe .3-.4". Wish I would have gone taller now with the bars its still too low. The KTMs feel awkward in standing position to me with stock bar height.

I like the submounts for not only the protection of my face hitting the bar but saving the scotts from damage. Ive looped the bike in rocky shit that would have broken or gouged up the thing pretty good sitting up top in the open. Also hit a G-out in dust that sent me in the air then face first on the bar id prob be drinking through a straw right now if it wasnt for the pad.

Im not really that tall either only 6' i still say sub mount unless you really are midget sized. I have had bars that were definitely too tall on another bike and it was odd to ride it so I know what you sayin

Just keep in mind the fender mount kits are pretty much discontinued now and we can only go above or below the bars for most bikes.

Thanks-

Eric

I just ordered and received a fender mount and damper from scotts direct.

I'm 6 foot 2 and the Scotts sub mount is the only way to go if your tall. IMO