Im trying to decide on buying a steering dampner

Had a 09 yz450f w/o a damper, shit that was scary. Under heavy throttle 2-4 gear I'd go into a wobble 40% of the time. I have a 09 Husaberg 450fe now that's sumo'd out with the full Scott's kit on it. I think I've gone into about 4 wobbles in the past 4 months. I've only done this once but I've gotten it going a buck 70 down Deerfoot and she was pretty solid. Good money spent if you get it

Btw I'm 6'2" at 195lbs

Had a 09 yz450f w/o a damper, shit that was scary. Under heavy throttle 2-4 gear I'd go into a wobble 40% of the time. I have a 09 Husaberg 450fe now that's sumo'd out with the full Scott's kit on it. I think I've gone into about 4 wobbles in the past 4 months. I've only done this once but I've gotten it going a buck 70 down Deerfoot and she was pretty solid. Good money spent if you get it

Btw I'm 6'2" at 195lbs

You're my hero, can I have your autograph?

Edited by originalmonk
  • Like 1

I just installed a Scotts submount on my 13' 250XC with a set of Pro taper RM Low bars. The bars feel very similar (height / sweep) to my stock renthal 827s.

The submount raised the bars 22mm and the RM Lows are 18mm lower so I gained 4mm in height but I also moved the bars 1 position forward and then rotated the bars back a little... it feels the same as stock now.

I just installed a Scotts submount on my 13' 250XC with a set of Pro taper RM Low bars. The bars feel very similar (height / sweep) to my stock renthal 827s.

The submount raised the bars 22mm and the RM Lows are 18mm lower so I gained 4mm in height but I also moved the bars 1 position forward and then rotated the bars back a little... it feels the same as stock now.

why did you get the sub mount over the on top mount? just curious and does the sub mount can you put on your barpad?

I bought some lower bars that only raised it maybe .3-.4". Wish I would have gone taller now with the bars its still too low. The KTMs feel awkward in standing position to me with stock bar height.

I like the submounts for not only the protection of my face hitting the bar but saving the scotts from damage. Ive looped the bike in rocky shit that would have broken or gouged up the thing pretty good sitting up top in the open. Also hit a G-out in dust that sent me in the air then face first on the bar id prob be drinking through a straw right now if it wasnt for the pad.

Im not really that tall either only 6' i still say sub mount unless you really are midget sized. I have had bars that were definitely too tall on another bike and it was odd to ride it so I know what you sayin

I'm 5'10"...ran the submount for a year and then went to an above mount. Kind of like what Tracy said, you loose a lot of leverage over the bike when you are sub 6' and use a submount. As far as hitting your face on it..it can happen. I've bashed my nuts on mine a couple times :cripple: . I know a few guys who run Renthal fatbars with a bar pad with special cutouts for the adjustment knobs. I just got a pair of flexx bars so I'm curious to see how that will all work out. I use a Scotts on my KTM and Berg. Have a GPR on my Honda but I don't like it as much

Curious if you can get a pic of your RM low bars on the bike? I bought "universal low" and hate them...they point down like Im on a drag bike.

why did you get the sub mount over the on top mount? just curious and does the sub mount can you put on your barpad?

I run the exact same setup as JimXCW on my '13 300XC. Yes, you can run the stock Renthal bar pad, but you'll have to cut a couple of small notches out of the bottom of the pad so it will clear the damper.

IMO, the under bar mount is a much cleaner setup and with the lower bars you won't screw up the stock geometry. If you go with the under bar setup, I would recommend the Motion Pro T3 throttle cable. Get the 4" longer than stock cable and route it in front of the bars.

Curious if you can get a pic of your RM low bars on the bike? I bought "universal low" and hate them...they point down like Im on a drag bike.

Here's the only pic I have that shows the bar. Maybe Jim has a better pic of his bars.

300XC.jpg

Here's a couple pictures of my setup. I just installed the bars and cut 3/8" off each end. This puts the brush guard OD at 32".

Like Cactus I'm also using the Motion Pro T3 throttle cable. I went with the Scotts and mounting kit from the KTM hard parts catalog. I use a watchdog enduro computer so I wanted the submount for a cleaner install and the RM Low Protapers keep everything close to stock height and sweep. I like the stock 2013 bend but didn't like the 2012 bend (too low).

IMG_20130710_181009_136.jpg

ResizedImage_1373496526929.jpg

Edited by JimXCW

Wow those Universal Lows look crazy. Not sure about the W's but the SX and XC 12's were 80mm the 13's are 92mm... I ran Windham/Reed bend on my 12' which are also 92mm. The stock 13' KTM bars are same height just 4mm less sweep than Windham bend.

Edited by JimXCW

I bought some lower bars that only raised it maybe .3-.4". Wish I would have gone taller now with the bars its still too low. The KTMs feel awkward in standing position to me with stock bar height.

I like the submounts for not only the protection of my face hitting the bar but saving the scotts from damage. Ive looped the bike in rocky shit that would have broken or gouged up the thing pretty good sitting up top in the open. Also hit a G-out in dust that sent me in the air then face first on the bar id prob be drinking through a straw right now if it wasnt for the pad.

Im not really that tall either only 6' i still say sub mount unless you really are midget sized. I have had bars that were definitely too tall on another bike and it was odd to ride it so I know what you sayin

considering the average height for American males is 5'8 to 5'9 you are Tall @ 6'0. Just saying. Also the GPR V4 has a thumb operated lever for on the fly adjustment so you don't have to take your hand off the bar. The V4 has this with & without the lever. I have the sub mount GPR V4 without the lever. I didn't have room on my bars otherwise I would have gotten the lever... Edited by GreenHornet450