Sign in to follow this  

Chain life

Just curious as to how many km's/miles people get out of their chains and sprockets before replacing .

Currently at 16,000km but needs replacing bad but ran into a snag by stripping the nut on the rear sprocket

Edited by tylerslj

It all depends on Chain Maintenance 😉 Keeping it adjusted, cleaned and lubed will help make it last longer 👍

Edited by Debi

It all depends on Chain Maintenance 😉 Keeping it adjusted, cleaned and lubed will help make it last longer 👍

Yea I agree , I try and grease my chain every 500 km and adjust when necessary so I realize maintenance plays a key factor in chain life . I am just curious as to what other people get for life out of their chains

Mine is the oem one and at 5K it's all kinked up and toast. I keep it clean and lubed, but the bike had a couple thou on it when I bought it, so it may have been neglected then. I am ordering an X-ring chain to replace it.

I've seen drz's with 30,000 kms when needing a chain and sprocket but I've also seen them with 7,000 kms and in desperate need of chain and sprockets.

Since we're on the topic of chains, one of the o-ring in my chain got ripped out from the PO. The whole bike has less then 5,000 miles, should I be worried?

I'm riding dirt/mud exclusively & can only hope to get over 10K on my chain & sprockets. Here's a bit of input on my best solution for chain/sprocket lifespan in the wet/powderdust/ creek rides of North Idaho. I stopped using o-ring chains so I'd be able to more effectively clean the chain as follows: 1. Remove chain every 6 to 10 hours of dirt riding. 2. Pressure wash each link while chain is flat. 3. Blast with compressed air. 4. Soak in your favorite penetrating chain lube. 5. Seal up the chain with "Chain Wax". I've used this combo on my new chain & sprockets going on over two years of abuse now. Only one chain adjustment needed so far & sprockets/chain still look new. The "Wax" over lube seems to make all the difference keeping the lube sealed in the chain & eliminating almost all "fling" too. Suzuki manual states a 1.6 to 2.0 chain slack for adjustment. Personal preference seems to be a big factor when it comes to chains, lubes, & sprockets. This is just my combo with great results so far in my riding conditions. Hope this helps.

I am from the "You get what you pay for" school. I run only Supersprox sprockets and "O Ring" chains. I ride mud, sand, rocks and pavement. My chain has 9+K miles on it and is perfect, no kinks and not stretched. This is the second counter sproket but still the first rear sprocket. The rear is perfect.

As for my maintenance, I hand wipe the chain clean with a rag and some purple degreaser and then re-lube it with "Motul Off Road" chain oil after every off road ride. I don't use wax because in my opinion it attracts sand and grit.

Edited by Drz Charlie

I used to use, well, still use sidewinder chains/sprockets on my quads. They are expensive, ohhhhhhh yes, but they are worth it! They claim they will outlast your machine.

Just curious as to how many km's/miles people get out of their chains and sprockets before replacing .

Currently at 16,000km but needs replacing bad but ran into a snag by stripping the nut on the rear sprocket

Chain life longevity has many variables.....You stripped the axle nut?

Chain life longevity has many variables.....You stripped the axle nut?

I stripped one of the nuts for the rear sprocket >.< wasn't thinking and turned it the wrong way (tightening it) until the nut stripped ... Not my proudest moment as its something I usually never make that mistake in 5 years of working on bikes lol

• Like 1

I stripped one of the nuts for the rear sprocket >.< wasn't thinking and turned it the wrong way (tightening it) until the nut stripped ... Not my proudest moment as its something I usually never make that mistake in 5 years of working on bikes lol

Dang....You must have had vegemite for breakfast to give you the strength snap that bugger...LOL.... :smashpc:

Vegemite, Oh yuck...what a crappy tasting food item. Damn, now that taste has come back to my mouth...argh!

Dang....You must have had vegemite for breakfast to give you the strength snap that bugger...LOL.... :smashpc:

Not quite sure what that is but even the name sounds gross haha

Thanks for the input everyone . Seems like getting 16,000 out of the stock oem chain is pretty good then .. I drive in a lot of rain and occasionally mud/puddles which probably takes its toll also

Finally got around to installing my new sprocket and chain today . Went with the SM gearing from stock "Real S" gearing . What a differance it made , my shifting points are much different and I can cruise at 100km/h comfortably now