Sign in to follow this  

My cross country weapon

So I am entering my first xc at the end of the month. And decided to pull the trigger on some new parts for my 04 cr250.

Ordered up a 10 oz fww the thin base gasket from the 05 cr250. And a phatheads hi compression kit. I already have a large skid plate and hand guards. Fresh tires on the way.

First question how much does the thinner base gasket rais compression. I already run 100ll in it. Will this fuel resist detonation.

On there website the next head up says 95+ octane fuel.

So I'm wondering if the combination of the base gasket and hi compression head will work.

I am also considering the magura clutch.

Questions comments input.

Thanks guys

Sounds like you've got a deadly combination. I'm no expert on gasket/power tips, but I do race alot of hare-scrambles and it sounds like you'll be set. 👍

So I called up magura direct to ask some questions about there clutch kits. At the end of the conversation I asked how much is it. He himmed and hawed for a second and. Says he can do 225 plus 20 for shipping to Canada.

So I pulled the trigger on it. I couldn't help myself.

The best price I could find in Canada was like 300 plus tax and shipping. And they weren't sure it would work with my bike.

I am so freaking excited to get all these parts in.

well tuned suspension will make you faster than any motor mods. for your first XC race i recomend getting to know a local suspension guy and have him tune yours.

well tuned suspension will make you faster than any motor mods. for your first XC race i recomend getting to know a local suspension guy and have him tune yours.

This +68.

That!

That's a good idea. I plan to have my suspension revalved and sprung for my weight likely this winter. I have no idea where it's set right now. I am going down towards Toronto next weekend and know a place that is great to deal with. So hopefully they can spend some time with me

Edited by redwheeliemonster

I have a thinner base gasket and run the phathead with the close to stock dome. I don't know the type of hare scrambles you have.. some are more like mx with trees and some are like extreme enduros. The phathead kits usually have a high comp dome and a close to stock dome. I wanted the close to stock dome to try first plus I wouldn't have to run race gas unless I felt like it with the close to stock. ..plus the higher compression head will run hotter and I already had overheating issues with the tight slow stuff.. just bringing that to light. I got the phathead mainly for the cooling properties. The bike has more than enough beans.. but I like that I could put on the higher comp head if I felt like it later... I haven't felt the need for it though. I think you also have a choice of getting a lower compression head dome too. Like some have said so far the suspension I think has been the biggest benefit after the mods you have already listed like fly wheel weight and guards. If you're tall a nice tall soft seat from gutz has been an awesome upgrade for me and some large moose offset pegs.. just depends on your size.. ergos anyway help alot..Getting an 18" rear wheel also is a benefit also.. All of this has been brought up multiple times on earlier hare scramble offroad setup threads for all brands of bikes so might as well put a search on TT and see what's already been said to take advantage of info already out there. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm 6feet tall is this tall enough to benefit from the offset pegs?

Also what are you riding? And in what climate. I have never experienced overheating issues. As well what gas do you run? I'm paying 1.80 liter for 100ll and its readily available to me. Even in stock trim it seems to run better with it.

Anyone know the stock suspension settings for this bike. I don't have a 2004 manual. And who know what the previous owner did.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm 6feet tall is this tall enough to benefit from the offset pegs?

Also what are you riding? And in what climate. I have never experienced overheating issues. As well what gas do you run? I'm paying 1.80 liter for 100ll and its readily available to me. Even in stock trim it seems to run better with it.

Anyone know the stock suspension settings for this bike. I don't have a 2004 manual. And who know what the previous owner did.

I think you'll benefit from a big platform peg compared to stock I like it but not sure about if an offsett is best now. I got size 13's too so that's a factor too. I got an IMS pro which is great ,super strong and bigger and your feet stay planted but it's brutal on shoes but I think it's worth it . You can get offsett like me and it does help. I got some moose offsett ones later that are great . I'm 6'1" and I have knuckle dragger longer arms maybe 3" longer ..it could be still good for you.. just something to think about while setting up ergos.. just gotta try moving the bars around and suspension settings will play a part . I'm running at sea level to a couple thousand feet...in typical Hawaii humid tropical weather and we don't have much open riding..more tighter stuff.. and I'm just running the premium at the pump..some with and some without ethanol and I put some kind of octane booster in there. I haven't been sticking to one particular brand of booster or oil for that matter.. Sounds like there shouldn't be a problem for you running the high comp dome.. but it's something to think about if you run a lot of tight stuff. The good thing is you should be able to go back to close to stock if you got the 2 dome phathead kit.

Also something simple and free. You can just put a file to your stock pegs like the manual says to sharpen up what you have to help your feet have more grip . Still I feel more comfortable and planted with bigger pegs. This is the one I ended up getting...but with a little offsett to the rear. half inch or so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/02-08-Honda-CR125-CR250-Moose-Racing-Stainless-Hybrid-Standard-Footpegs-/300832456505?hash=item460b02ff39&vxp=mtr

Edited by hawaiidirtrider