Sign in to follow this  

Boots for vintage mx?

What boots are you folks wearing when you ride your vintage bikes?

I know I can get Alpinestar Super Victorys but I was wondering what the options are. All of the modern boots I've tried are 'way too stiff to work the shifter and brake on a vintage bike.

I'm going to see if the shoe repair shop can rebuild my faithful old High-Points one last time, and then I plan to use them just for vintage events. I'd like a recommendation for some every-weekend riding boots.

Mike

These are pretty soft and pliable. Local bike shop ordered them. Daystar made in US. IIRC about $20, maybe a little less. And they have the drain holes in the back. I hear a lot of them don't. He ordered by fork size and they are a perfect fit. I haven't even put clamps on yet.

poopipeson.jpg

Edited by knudsen

Hey Mike on the other boots, for your feet, if you have a few months to keep looking, watch for a lazy seller on e-bay that doesn't clean them up for sale. Most vitnage boots cost as much as a new pair or close to it, but I sat on it and found some muddy Oneals for $30 IIRC (1980's vintage). All red leather, still stiff, and in great shape after a wash, except for the plastic shifter protection had disintegrated. It was there, but it crumbled when I pressed on it. The shin guards are OK. I took it to my cobbler and he cut me a thick patch of leather and told me to gorilla glue it on. He said they have some kind of plastic coating over the leather, but said to use neatsfoot oil on them, and anywhere that coat might fail it would soak in and protect them.

I can't really say what's a good brand. The only others I had were custom made for me in Korea. If you go used/vintage, I would look for simple design, lace up, less to fail. Mine lace up and the shin guards are on a leather flap that folds over, secured by velcro and covers the loose laces.

So much of what I've bought I get at half the going rate because they didn't clean it, bad photo's and/or bad descriptions. Eye appeal is buy appeal.

Edited by knudsen

If you wanna be period correct,the fox plastic boots are the way to go! true heaps of sh!!t compared to todays stuff though...........

ick, is that because they were the best at the time, or because they are still available in good shape because they are plastic? Or available new still? I'm just curios, if I get another pair, I should go modern on those.

My bad, I think it was the Scott brand boots that were all plastic, imagine wearing modern ski boots that rode up your shin while you rode! Stiff is an understatement.

The smaller diameter Daystar boots need to be checked for fork travel binding. On some forks the inner bellows of the boots will stack and bind before you reach full suspension travel on the forks. It is better to use the larger diameter boots that fit around the outside of the lower fork leg. That allows the bellows to stack up outside the lower fork leg and not keep the forks from full travel.

Back to the boots for your legs.

Swiss

I go with vintage bike modern safety gear so I'm using gaerne sg12's for boots. Rocky mountain $400. I do wear a vintage style riding shirt over the gear. I just got some of the vented oneals in their 1983 pattern. Now my buddy bought a pair of the hi point copies that are out there. They are made by alpinestar I believe. He really likes them, they look a little different than the ones he and I had back in the day but you'd have to be a period Nazi to care.

I reread your post mike, okay to answer your question. I did have to raise my shifter one notch with the modern boots. Other than that the gaernes have been great. I tried taking my hi points to the shoe repairman, let me know if you have any luck. The cost was gonna be the same as new ones.