Sign in to follow this  

Problem with 2012 DR650 engine

Hi, so I am posting for my girlfriend, she rides a DR650 2012 that just passed the 8,000 mile mark. I was following her for about 20 miles at highway speeds. At some point she was cruising at 95mph with no trouble. Then suddenly she dropped off. I pulled off at an exit a few miles ahead and when she eventually cought up she said out of no where her RPM's were screaming in 5th gear. She described it as being in 3rd gear doing 80mph. But she assured me that she was defenetly in 5th gear the whole time and out of nowhere the RPM just went up. Also, this all happened at nighttime and when she pulled up next to me, the headpipe exhaust was glowing red. She said she could feel the heat.

It cruises around at low speed no problem, there are no weird noises or leaks at all. Valves were inspected 800 miles ago along with an oil change.

What do you think? What could cause a sudden rise in RPM like that and make the head pipe glow red hot?

Hi, so I am posting for my girlfriend, she rides a DR650 2012 that just passed the 8,000 mile mark. I was following her for about 20 miles at highway speeds. At some point she was cruising at 95mph with no trouble. Then suddenly she dropped off. I pulled off at an exit a few miles ahead and when she eventually cought up she said out of no where her RPM's were screaming in 5th gear. She described it as being in 3rd gear doing 80mph. But she assured me that she was defenetly in 5th gear the whole time and out of nowhere the RPM just went up. Also, this all happened at nighttime and when she pulled up next to me, the headpipe exhaust was glowing red. She said she could feel the heat.

It cruises around at low speed no problem, there are no weird noises or leaks at all. Valves were inspected 800 miles ago along with an oil change.

What do you think? What could cause a sudden rise in RPM like that and make the head pipe glow red hot?

The glowing heapipe is probably a lean condition. The ONLY thing that can cause the revs to jump up like that is a slipping clutch.

The glowing heapipe is probably a lean condition. The ONLY thing that can cause the revs to jump up like that is a slipping clutch.

ok, might be since I just put a new clutch lever on her bike and adjusted the clutch cable. Thanks!

ok, might be since I just put a new clutch lever on her bike and adjusted the clutch cable. Thanks!

Sounds like when you replaced the clutch lever you failed to put the proper free play in the clutch cable. Zero free play will do that.

Tech25

Running at high rpm's, a head pipe glowing red at night is normal....I agree with the clutch adjustment being the possible cause for excessive revving....

• Like 1

my brother in law had this issue on his KLR (2012 with 3000 miles), that is he'd experience a surge in RPM while cruising. It was spontaneous and would come and go. I never noticed it when i rode his bike but he next time he went for a ride on some soft sand the clutch was cactus! Do what others have said first and adjust the clutch cable but if the problem persists it may be an early warning of the clutch letting go soon.

Glowing headpipe on the DR is common, clutch slipping is the only reason for increased rpm

Does the clutch slip? Pipes will glow if still stock-lean, see faq and rejet the carb