Sign in to follow this  

Trading my 250f for a 250

Okay picked up a 2003 yz250f couple days ago, and 5th gear has a heavy slip, most likeley worn out dogs/gears and bent shift fork. I found a guy on craigslist who will trade me a running pretty good condition 1999 kx250. What do you guys think? Do the trade or no? Keep in mind I'm pretty much broke and out of options since splitting the case myself would be a pain in the ass and would take me months, or just go with the trade?

I'd go with the trade. I have the exact same bike that im just waiting on some lock washers for the crank and clutch. Gunna be tradin it for a 2001 rm250 after everything's said and done. In my opinion, you cant beat a smoker but this 250f is amazing for tighter, technical trails. I also had an opportunity to trade for a show room condition 99 kx250 but decided to keep my bike. Kickin myself for not doin it now

I'd go with the trade. I have the exact same bike that im just waiting on some lock washers for the crank and clutch. Gunna be tradin it for a 2001 rm250 after everything's said and done. In my opinion, you cant beat a smoker but this 250f is amazing for tighter, technical trails. I also had an opportunity to trade for a show room condition 99 kx250 but decided to keep my bike. Kickin myself for not doin it now

This bike is beyond amazing on the trails. I live 3 minutes away from the san andreas fault, so I have trails left and right. How will these 2 strokes handle on trails and hillclimbs? I love the constant power on the 250f, and the way it sounds with the yoshi pipe haha

This bike is beyond amazing on the trails. I live 3 minutes away from the san andreas fault, so I have trails left and right. How will these 2 strokes handle on trails and hillclimbs? I love the constant power on the 250f, and the way it sounds with the yoshi pipe haha

250 smokers are a little too much for the trails around my area because most are tighter and pretty technical to ride. I loved my cr250 for pretty much everything till it was time to go slow. They're great for hill climbs IMO, but the powerband can be tricky. I have the fmf powercore 4 on mine with a little less packing than the usual mx bike has. Its a little louder and sounds great! I know alot of guys on here would hate how loud it is though haha

I used to own a 1989 kx125, and that thing was so reliable. I was like 13 at the time, so I would never change the oil or filter. I would do a tune up on it every like 30 hours. And till the day I sold it, it started first kick, and ran like a bat out of hell. Never broke down on me or left me stranded always a great bike. That's why I'm consider this 250, I'm wondering if they're has bullet proof as my old bike.

Only thing about my experiences with the 250's is the crank seals. They always went on every 250 smoker i had. But i also never knew how many hrs were on the engines. I dropped in some top ends, crank seals and bearings and they were good to go.

Only thing about my experiences with the 250's is the crank seals. They always went on every 250 smoker i had. But i also never knew how many hrs were on the engines. I dropped in some top ends, crank seals and bearings and they were good to go.

How much would I be looking at a fix like that? the mechanic out here says the 4 stroke bottom end rebuild is looking at like $600 minimum depending how bad damage is lol

Yeah, 4t can get pretty expensive. Theres about $1000 in my 250f's engine. 2t is a hell of a lot cheaper to rebuild. Up here in canada i'd say $600 max for a complete rebuild (crank, seals, bearings, gaskets, piston, rod) but i've only ever done the crank seals, bearings and top end which is usually around $200. If the seals go, you can get away with just replacing them but who knows how long. 2t is cheaper all around for maintenance and rebuilds.

They're a great bike for someone on a budget. I barely make it by with my 250f haha

Edited by jp-lightning