Sign in to follow this  

2004 YZ250 Fork height on triple clamps?

posted this in the suspension forum but figured i'd post here as well

Got my suspension rebuilt (no re-valving or anything) by ZR1 yesterday and didn't really pay attention to where the forks were sitting on the triple clamps when I pulled them off of the bike. Now that I'm installing them back on the bike how do I know where to set the forks in the triple clamps? What is the effect of setting them in a lower or high position? I will be riding on an MX track. Please let me know. Thanks

Is there an marking line 3 or 4 mm. from the very top of the fork tube? I know the older ones had the line. This is the "stock" setting, lining it up with the top of the triple clamp. You can experiment a little with height, though. Extended out a little farther would make it more stable on really rough stuff and deep sand, etc. BUT you will lose a little (or a LOT) of a sharp turn- in you might want, depending on the surface of the track. I've heard guys tried as much as 10 mm. from the top of the tube to the top of the clamp for woods and you get a little better turn-in that the YZ could use but you'll lose that stability. Start at the line, decide what you need and experiment.