Sign in to follow this  

New 2013 sm feels way underpowered

I can't help but to keep thinking that my sm feels like a 250. Its almost enough yo make me want to compression check it just to make sure its not low on compression.

I see bids of peoples stock bikes and mine definitely feels slower. I can't even clutch up a wheelie in 2nd weighing 140 lbs. I'm 700 feet above sea level. Oil changed at 50, 300, and 700 miles with filter changes for 2 of them. I always run 93 octane and no mods.

Any ideas?

I can't help but to keep thinking that my sm feels like a 250. Its almost enough yo make me want to compression check it just to make sure its not low on compression.

I see bids of peoples stock bikes and mine definitely feels slower. I can't even clutch up a wheelie in 2nd weighing 140 lbs. I'm 700 feet above sea level. Oil changed at 50, 300, and 700 miles with filter changes for 2 of them. I always run 93 octane and no mods.

Any ideas?

where in Nc? I have a 2009 in stock trim and trust me it is not a rocket ship. If you are close by I have no problems going for a ride and switching bikes for a little.

You need to do the 3X3 mod, and get a jet kit at least, you will see how much stronger and how harder it will pull with correct jetting, they are way too lean from the factory, and if you can afford it, get a MRD/SSW exhaust, it really lets the bike rev out, makes you reach higher speeds much faster, another great cheap mod are HotCams, only around $250 bucks, and they really make a great power difference, there is also the FCRmx carb, so theres tons of options on how to give the bike some more power.

I went with the jet kit, 3X3, MRD/SSW and HotCams, i weigh around 150 and the bike is very strong for me, lifts up easily with no clutch with stock gearing.

• Like 2

I have plans on doing the jet kit and 3x3 mod as soon as I can. Just wondering what stock power level.

I have a 13sm also, it does feel pretty weak but this is coming off a 600cc sport bike. When I ride with other supermoto's I can keep up with the 450KTM and 6xx something husky so that kinda put my mind at ease. Those bikes were faster don't get me wrong, but about what you'd expect comparing them to a 400. I really want to do the 3x3, JD jet kit(or just FCR it right away) and a MRD but I am a little afraid of pulling the carb apart. Kind of ironic since I am an aircraft mechanic and used to tune fuel injected cars for a job..... But something tells me don't screw with this pristine brand new motorcycle.

I have plans on doing the jet kit and 3x3 mod as soon as I can. Just wondering what stock power level.

Stock is around 32HP.

run 87 on a stock engine no need to run anything higher just wasting your pennies at the pump

• Like 1

There's no way a DRZ is going to feel powerful compared to any sport bike. 32 HP only goes so far. The 3x3 mod is the best performance bang for the buck. The dyno graph on the JD website show a small increase in power, but the increase in responsiveness makes it seem like a lot more. I think it's the best $70 you can spend on performance.

Right outside of Greensboro.

I'm in the Lexington area .Usually head to the Albemarle Uwharrie area to ride.

I ride uhwarrie once a month although not on my sm. Maybe we can link up sometime and go on a ride

There's no way a DRZ is going to feel powerful compared to any sport bike. 32 HP only goes so far. The 3x3 mod is the best performance bang for the buck. The dyno graph on the JD website show a small increase in power, but the increase in responsiveness makes it seem like a lot more. I think it's the best $70 you can spend on performance.

Yeah I kind of figured that. The lack of throttle response is what I think kills the bottom end power......I try to snap it open at low rpm to pull it up and it falls on its face and by the time it catches up the front end is on its way back down.

Well that's good to know. I mean its hard to clutch it up in 2nd now lol. Well I'm now even more excited to do the 3x3. Guess i am ordering the jet kit very soon.

My 2009 sm was basically new (450 mi in 2 yrs, kept indoors) when in January 2013 I decided it needed guts to make it fun. I had anxiety about modding an engine with only 450 mis, but I swallowed hard and contacted Eddie for the 50 hp package. Got everything back together in March and have doubled the miles. It's not my only bike but the performance upgrades have moved it way up on the "hum, which one to ride" scale. Put it on a credit card and you will increase your monthly bike payments slightly and increase your riding enjoyment by triple. I seldom use all the power it has to offer but the increases through all areas of the power curve is really impressive.

I didn't increase power through phases, like jetting first, etc, so I can't comment on how incremental changes will help. But if you're staying close to the other bikes you mentioned, you will blow them away with the 50 hp package. Do it and don't tell them. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your bike.

You can PM Eddie at the link below. By the way, I have no association here, he just made my bike great.

http://www.thumperta...eddie-sisneros/

Edited by TxTiger
  • Like 1

I had Eddie do other things also, like the locktite fixes, add the manual chain tensioner, and purchased other misc stuff so I don't remember the exact cost of the 50 hp. There are also some different big block kits he can supply that effect price. I got in on a price reduction special, but I think you can do the BB kit, cams, 39 mm carb pre jetted for your specific area, and MRD/SSW pipe for around $1,850 or less. This is really the best mod you can do in my opinion. PM him, he will give you a really fair deal base upon my experience.