Sign in to follow this  

05' WR250F Coolant Resevoir

This topic may have been covered here somewhere, but I can't find anything on it.

I have a 2005 WR250F and need to know if the coolant reservoir under the rear fender is really needed. It seems to be the only bike with it and if I do over boil or over fill the radiators it still comes out the small tube at the front of the engine anyway.........the reservoir seems useless, IMHO.

I wanna remove it, but don't wanna eff it up either.

Thanks for any help.

When it boils over and cools, it returns the coolant to the radiator. There is a reason it is there. I'd keep it, in fact I have installed a few on YZf's that are trail ridden.

I would highly recommend you leave it. It wont hurt anything and its just added insurance 👍

What lil hose in front of the engine are you speaking of too?

Make me No. 2 who's wondering the same thing.

Thanks for everyone's input, I'll leave it......I suppose there's a reason for everything, just checking it out. The outlet in in the front buried under the stock skid plate (if that's what you wanna call the plastic piece). When I bought the bike the radiators were over filled by the previous owner ( I figured the overflow would handle it) but then, after a good hard ride I was finding coolant leaked onto the top of my moto stand. That's why I wondered if the rear resevoire was actually needed. I value the advice and like the idea of insurance. Thanks again.

If you have coolant coming out of some hose, and the coolant reservoir isn't already full, I'd check the hose routing to see if the reservoir is actually hooked up correctly.

That's the purpose of the reservoir:

Any coolant pushed out of the radiator goes into that reservoir, and gets sucked back into the radiator when it cools.

The only time you should have coolant coming out of some drain hose is if the reservoir is already full and can't take any more.