Sign in to follow this  

Squirly front tire

Is there a reason why my front tire gets squirly in deeper sand? What can I do to stop this from happening?

Is there a reason why my front tire gets squirly in deeper sand? What can I do to stop this from happening?

What tire are you running?

When I was running a Dunlop 606 it would snow plow bad switched over to Dunlop MX51 love it

• Like 1

I don't know of any front tire that's good in deep sand. You have to ride differently in sand, you need to steer with power from the rear end instead of trying to turn with the the front wheel.

I don't know of any front tire that's good in deep sand. You have to ride differently in sand, you need to steer with power from the rear end instead of trying to turn with the the front wheel.

+2 above,,Deep sand as in dunes is crap to ride in,,avoid it,,Nothing harder to ride and not a lot harder on the bike than the stuff,,Hours of steep muddy greasy hills and trails come close,,avoid both if possible..

The R is a real treat in the sand!!(that's what my YZ is for) The best setup iv'e come down to is stiffer front springs and damping for front and rear. Along with a very new (full dirt) front tire. Oh yes,,it helps to have a couple beers first to loosen ya up. (and turn the brain off). LOL

• Like 1

^^^truer words have never been spoken...its more mental than anything...just ride the rear fender...I ride to the beach all the time (and have a couple of beers) and although its not real deep sand it will screw you up if you ride the front wheel or turn with it....

let the front glide over stuff and your ass HAS to be on the rear fender...lastly ride a gear higher than you would normally, so in other words low engine rpms and let the engine pulse through the sand...once you lose traction you dig a hole and your down...in fact if I know I need to get out of a situation fast I upshift sometimes 2 gears at a time...or real quick

have fun!