Sign in to follow this  

Is It Possible To Repair This FMF Gnarly?

Okay, wrecked my bike on the 4th. The pipe has a large dent in it on the ride side (where they always seem to get dented). More importantly, the pipe seems to have been bent as it now contacts the frame where it passes between the 2 frame tubes as it comes out of the engine. It also seems to have been shoved back as where it connects to the silencer has moved rear ward at least a full inch.

Should I just write this pipe off, or is there something that can be done to un-tweek it? The pipe is BRAND NEW. I have probably 4 rides on the bike since I installed it.

You can probably very carefully tweak and bend it pretty close to where it should be. Depending on exactly where the dent is and how big it may not affect performance at all. The place where you definitely don't want a dent is within the first 8-10 inches where the pipe is at its narrowest exiting the cylinder. A dent in the large cone area of the pipe isn't normally a big deal unless it is really big.

I think I'm going to send the pipe off to someone that does this type of repair. I guess I should have been more clear about that initially. I'm just wondering if the repair shops have the ability to re-shape the entire pipe in addition to popping out the ding.

I'd call them and ask them if they can straighten it. I know they can fix dents but not sure about the rest. Then again, maybe fixing the dent will take care of it. Definitely, worth a call.

Edited by HrcRacing27

I can tell you that the dent is the least of the problems with this pipe. It is contorted, and convoluted in too many different directions. I'll send it off and see what can be done to repair it. Worse case, I still have a Fatty I can throw back on it to ride with for right now.

i crushed mine too the first time i rode my bike, granted it was an OE pipe. Pipe touched frame on one end, front faring too and it barely mated the exhaust.

filled it with water and froze it (day and a half), twice. It actually opened up again, and then some. I thought these pipes were hydro formed? that worked pretty good. I even had to bend it a little bit back at the muffler connection cause it opened up too much. Not bad for a "free" repair that didn't need air compressors torches or anything like that.

• Like 1

I am going to be trying the freezer method today on a FMF pipe. It has about 6 dents in it and it's lines are jacked from the impacts it suffered. I will post before and after pics sometime soon.

If it doesn't work for me...I guess I'll be sending it to the pros. The images on http://www.piperepair.com/ were pretty impressive. I just don't want to spend $60 right now.

I shipped my pipe off today to Pacific Crest Pipe Repair (the company linked above). I'm hoping they can work some magic with that beast. I'll post back after the pipe gets here & I get a chance to fit it.