Sign in to follow this  

05 450 MXC gearing question

I have a 2005 450 mxc that was setup with a really high gear set by the prior owner. I out doing trail riding and would like input on what the best gear ratio is for the front/rear sprockets. All feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Bryson

Sorry, had a major typo in there. Meant to say that I'm out trail riding normally.

Thanks

I have a dual sported 05 MXC 450. 13 / 51 for Forest Service roads. 12 / 51 for single track. Able to use the same chain, just adjust slightly.

I had that exact bike for years and always ran 13/50 with no problems in single track but I also did alot of desert riding as well. you may want to go with 13/52. I'd stay away from a 12t as that is going to add some serious wear on your chain slider.

Edited by pumpkinrider33

Yeah, that 12 tooth is pretty small and only used it a few times for the really tight stuff. That first gear is so tall in the MXC going up long single track hills in the woods can be fun.

Been checking other forums and found a lot of posts recommending 14/52. Opinions?

Thanks,

Bryson

It really all depends on your skill level and type of trails you plan on riding. If you're a fast rider on more open trails you'll want

taller gearing. Slow and on mostly single track with a lot of tree roots you'll want lower gearing. Best advice I can give you; buy a 13

and a 14 and see which one works for you, front sprockets are cheap and easy to swap out.