Sign in to follow this  

Water pump housing / case repair help...

Spent all last week at Taylor Reservoir area in Colorado. Had a blast! Here's some of the links to the few pictures that I captured. I didn't take a lot of pictures on this trip, unfortunately...

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/441514-drz-pics-with-the-best-background-landscape/page__st__2220#entry10892884

https://thumpertalk.com/topic/441514-drz-pics-with-the-best-background-landscape/page__st__2220#entry10892901

Anyhow, on the last day, we were making a run up to the top of Flag Mountain, a return trip for us, but we were taking a different way this time. We were on Lily Pond Trail single track, right off of Italian Creek road, probably about 3/4 mile into the run, when I got bounced off the trail. That wasn't any big deal, and I kept going. However, I couldn't successfully negotiate the next section that consisted of two HUGE rocks, just wide enough to go thru, and I tagged the rock on the right side, hard, DAMN HARD, and it pushed my rock guard into my water pump housing and cracked it:

IMG_20130705_142315.jpg

Of course, I IMMEDIATELY lost all of the coolant (less than 2 seconds).

Today, I went out an inspected the damage a little bit closer, and I realized that the side case is cracked as well, AND I'm completely missing a piece of the case. I don't know if it's inside, or where it went:

IMG_20130707_133143.jpg

So, now, I have to fix this deal. I haven't taken any of this apart at this point, but I would like to get some opinions on what parts I need / should get, BEFORE I start ordering parts, so that I'm not just ordering parts willy-nilly. (NOTE: I will be taking this apart BEFORE ordering parts, just fishing for advice at this point).

I suspect that I'm going to need to get a water pump assembly, and really, since I'm going to need to take this all apart anyway, I might as well order that part new. I've toyed with the idea of trying to TIG the housing back together, but that part's only $70, so maybe, I'll just order that part as well, and TIG the broken one as a "spare" if this ever happens to me again, for emergency use only. Now, after looking at, I need a side case as well, as you can see from the pic above.

One other thing that I should mention, is that unfortunately, I had no choice but to actually ride the bike for a brief period to get it out of the location that I was in. Since we were on single track, I couldn't get a 4-wheeler up there, so that wasn't an option. At the time, we didn't have a tow rope, so that wasn't an option either. Fortunately, though, up to the point that the damage occurred, it had been mostly an uphill climb. So, I was able to coast for a most of the way down, with an occasional 5-10 seconds of running, just to get up some smaller hills that I didn't have the momentum to carry. All-in-all, I spent less than 2 minutes actually running the engine, and was able to make it down Italian Creek road quite a ways, where my buddy came and picked me up with a truck. I felt a little bit assured that not much motor damage had occurred when I stopped, because I still had a full oil sump. I know that I lost a little bit of oil out of the case side, but I obviously didn't loose it all. When I stopped, I was still able to "touch" the cylinder, so it wasn't like it was super hot either. I've probably had it hotter than that, just during normal riding on a hot day, working it hard.

Are there any other gaskets, seals, or o-rings, I should be looking at replacing when I have this all apart? Anything I should be looking for when I'm in there???

CADman_ks

You just need to take it apart and inventory the parts you need from what your find. For sure a water pump cover, maybe a water pump (hard to say), a right engine side case, gasket for the side cover, maybe O rings for the water pump. Inspect the water pump drive gear for damage.

Well good news / bad news.

Good news:

Ordered a side case late last week, and it arrived today, which I wasn't expceting. Case half looks really good. AND, as a bonus, I got the water pump cover as well, which I wasn't expecting!

Bad news:

I didn't need the water pump cover!!! LOL!!! I had already ordered another one because I didn't think this was coming with that!! But even worse than that, it looks like someone tried taking out the inner seal on the case half with a screwdriver and now it's messed up!! I don't think that you can order that piece separately either, at least as near as I can tell... 👎

CADman_KS

See your other post. All parts are replaceable.

Good news / good news!!!

Good news:

I got the bike back together and it runs!, with no additional knocks / sounds.

Good news:

It doesn't leak anywhere!!

Now, I need to get rid of it to make way for the new horse in the stable.  I'm going to hate to see it go, but time moves on...

CADman_KS

What skid plate was that?

Id get something better. 

I believe he started drinking the orange koolaid... too late! :devil:  I kidd, I would like to try a KTM one day as well.  I kinda like the looks I get when people see me on a DRZ and are probably thinking, "dude your using that pig for WHAT!"🤣

What skid plate was that?

Id get something better. 

I hope that I don't get booted for this, but it was a TT skid plate!

The skid plate ain't the problem. 

It's the driver!!!

CADman_KS

• Like 1

I believe he started drinking the orange koolaid...

Yes, unfortunately that's true. Still don't have it mind you, so I don't know what it tastes like yet, but should soon!

... I kinda like the looks I get when people see me on a DRZ and are probably thinking, "dude your using that pig for WHAT!"🤣

All my buddies give me crap all the time for riding a "pig"! I'm used to it. LOL...

CADman_KS

Edited by cadman_ks

I believe he started drinking the orange koolaid... too late! :devil:  I kidd, I would like to try a KTM one day as well.  I kinda like the looks I get when people see me on a DRZ and are probably thinking, "dude your using that pig for WHAT!"🤣

lol,  i meant a better skid plate.    :D