Sign in to follow this  

Xr600 burnt clutch

Well I took the bike out to the dunes and I suppose I learned the hard way how to adjust the clutch. I had it too loose so that it wasn't fully in gear and it was like riding the clutch all day. I lost power to the back tire.

Anyway. What all do I need to fix it? Is this a hard procedure?

You could try to adjust the clutch correctly. Then replace if that dosen't do the trick. If you need to replace the clutch pack

use OEM plates. Also make sure the steel plates are not warped from over heating. Be sure to soak the fiber plates at least

over night in motor oil before installing the new plates. You should get a shop manual.

• Like 1

Yeah we tried that and it went a little further then burnt out completely.

Well I took the bike out to the dunes and I suppose I learned the hard way how to adjust the clutch. I had it too loose so that it wasn't fully in gear and it was like riding the clutch all day. I lost power to the back tire.

Anyway. What all do I need to fix it? Is this a hard procedure?

im confused...if the clutch is extra loose at the lever that means its fully engaged(making shifting almost impossible because the main plate never pulls out enough and disengages)...its when the lever is way too tight and has no slack that you risk burning up the clutch...as it will always be released a bit...

just use the specs in the manual for lever and clutch arm actuator free play too..all good

a used or worn out clutch in the dunes is always a recipe for burning out...My old clutch would always lose it in sand in 4th or 5th unless I rolled on so slowly...in fact I was slipping a lot and losing a lot of power that I noticed such a huge improvement with a new one(take off)

go OEM for sure and if you have some mods use some heavy duty spring like the ebc ones or use 2 and 2 new oem ones...

Ok. Yeah the lever was too tight. I said loose incorrectly haha. Why do people use only two heavy duty springs? Why not all four? Anything wrong with the ebc clutch kit? Those discs not as good? It's like 85$ which is way cheaper than oem. The tusk is $50 which is a good deal but I heard they don't last

cause 4 makes for a much firmer pull and if youre not modded engine wise a lot and not producing massive hp then an extra 2 heavy duty springs just helps fight clutch slip a bit better...

some guys just shim oem springs and call it good...I used 4 new ebc springs and find the clutch action great...

oem is best, ebc heavy duty is most guys favourite...tusk is to get you out if dodge for a while, however people like them...

Ok. Yeah the lever was too tight. I said loose incorrectly haha. Why do people use only two heavy duty springs? Why not all four? Anything wrong with the ebc clutch kit? Those discs not as good? It's like 85$ which is way cheaper than oem. The tusk is $50 which is a good deal but I heard they don't last

I personally, would stick to either all four heavy or stock. Not two of one & two of another.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered the ebc heavy duty kit with the steel discs carbon ones and had springs. I plan to just replace everything. $85 eBay. Also bought a Ricky stator to throw in while the engine oil is drained and some new gaskets

• Like 1

I personally, would stick to either all four heavy or stock. Not two of one & two of another.

thats what I did, I used the new ebc ones...however a lot of guys like the 2 and 2...you must make sure however if you go this route(2 and 2) that the springs are same length...that was my concern...so I opted against it...

The springs should all be the same rate so the pressure plate lifts evenly. I like to use OEM plates and springs.