Sign in to follow this  

Adjusted main, now pilot circuit is lean?

'08 DRZ400SM w/FCR39MX...I went leaner on the main and can confirm it was a positive change, but now my starter/pilot circuit is lean to the point where it will not run. I've checked for air leaks and there are none. I can turn the fuel screw out to 4 turns and it will start to act right, but still lean...does adjusting the main circuit affect the starter/pilot circuit?

I posted this in the jetting forum as well, but I guess it doesn't get visited very often as I have had no response...

Thanks!

Changing the main jet should not significantly affect the idle circuit at all. The starter circuit is completely independent of the idle circuit and the main circuit.

The simple answer is it sounds like a plugged up pilot jet. Or bad gas. Remember old E10 fuel absorbs water and then separates out. If your gas is old , try some new gas.

Well, I am going to go ahead and give everyone a nice little chuckle...while doing the tuning, I thought I would just go ahead and give the carb a good cleaning, so I took it apart and when I reassembled it, I mistakenly put the slide plate back on upside down...running like a champ now.