Sign in to follow this  

250 4stroke or 250 2stroke?

I need your help again thumper talk, I'm ready to purchase my next bike. I've had lots of time aboard the klx140l (believe me i know, pathetic right?) and now looking at a 250 4t or 250 2t. I like the advantages 4t give but i like the costs of 2t, power wise, will the 250 4t be enough? any comparisons on the two are BIG helps too me, the only other serious bikes I've ridden our the drz400 (too powerful) and the beta250 trials bike, so i really haven't ridden anything to give me an idea of either 250's,

thanks again,

Caelan

The 250 2 stroke makes more power for less money, and it is lighter.. I still don't know why the choice isn't a no-brainer, especially after I rode a few 250fs and was disappointed by their performance every ride. Then when rebuild time comes you are REALLY going to wish that you had a 2 smoker.

• Like 2

First off what kind of riding are you going to be doing? If the DRZ was too powerful, a 250t(and probably even a 250f) is going to be even worse. 250t have a very snappy power band and take a good bit of throttle control to ride properly. Maybe you should start out with a 125t and then go from there.

If you are good on the klx a 250f will be an easier transition than the 250 2t.

Hi

I had a DRZ 400 2003 it had a Yoshi RS3 and had been rejeted, it sounded awsome went well and I was the king......... Until I got a YZ 250 Two stroke, Im 95kgs and 6'1'' my buddies smoke me on their 450,s in a stright line (not off the mark) but struggle to stay with me when it gets tight, . Maybe an idea to look at a 125 two stroke.

Cheers.

I think the question should be a 250f or 125 as a 250 2t is a whole lot of power. I think coming off the klx a 125 would be a great first "big bike". The first bike I owned was a 125 after only riding a xr100 before that and It was a big change but I adapted quickly. I moved to a 250 2t after 3 years on 125's (start of this season) and I couldn't imagine jumping straight to that big of a bike. I don't have any input towards a 250f as ive never owned a race four stroke and am a little two stroked biased haha. I won't bash or praise a 250f like some will as I have no ground to stand on from not owning one.

Edited by Kpoulz328

okay ya i just had a look at the hp of the 250 2t, i would have died. A riding buddy of mine said a 250 2t i grow into, but i think your all right about the 250 4t

Both way too powerful you need to try a 125 or get a crf230 crf150rb or Ttr-225 but the 250f and 250t are just way too powerful there more powerful then the 400 when it comes To acceleration and snap power

okay ya i just had a look at the hp of the 250 2t, i would have died. A riding buddy of mine said a 250 2t i grow into, but i think your all right about the 250 4t

The horsepower is something that you get used to pretty quickly. The back wheel goes exactly as fast as you tell it to at all times. You will be fine. Its actually pretty fun having power and not being girly.

Get the 250F or 125 2t. A 250 smoker's power is equal to 450 but requires a specific technique to ride successfully. You can get use to it but could also be a painful lesson.

Get the 250F or 125 2t. A 250 smoker's power is equal to 450 but requires a specific technique to ride successfully. You can get use to it but could also be a painful lesson.

When I was 15, I weighed about 135 lbs. It was the first year that I started riding dirtbikes. My first bike was a 2001 Rm125 that ran weird and it was pretty slow. I sold my 2001 RM125 after a month of riding it and I got a 2001 yz250 that was running very well. it took me about 1.5 rides to get used to the power difference and it has been a non-issue since then. People that are scared of a 250 2 stroke just need to spend a little bit of time with one. there are guys riding 1400CC supped up crotch rocket dirtbikes up gnarly ass hills out west, you can handle a 250 2 stroke for crying out loud.

• Like 1

just because you have a two stroke doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone. I have had so many two strokes but I had to try a 450F. So happy with it. Let the bike do some of the work instead of you. We don't know your height/weight which has a huge effect on which bike you should try. I suggest 250F if you're at least 5'6" tall.

just because you have a two stroke doesn't mean it's the best choice for everyone. I have had so many two strokes but I had to try a 450F. So happy with it. Let the bike do some of the work instead of you. We don't know your height/weight which has a huge effect on which bike you should try. I suggest 250F if you're at least 5'6" tall.

Nobody would have ever suggested that me, when I was a 15 year old 135 lb kid should get a 250 2 stroke, but I did anyways and everything that people said to me when I brought up the idea turned out to be bullshit. Anybody with dirtbike experience can get used to a 250 2 stroke in just a few rides. I have observed 4 tests with this theory within my circle of friends alone, and each experience confirmed it. A 250 2 stroke is not too much power for anybody to handle, but he thinks it is, so he is going to make a big purchase based on that idea which I have strong reason to believe is incorrect.

Edited by dirtjumpordie

Nobody would have ever suggested that me, when I was a 15 year old 135 lb kid should get a 250 2 stroke, but I did anyways and everything that people said to me when I brought up the idea turned out to be bullshit. Anybody with dirtbike experience can get used to a 250 2 stroke in just a few rides. I have observed 4 tests with this theory within my circle of friends alone, and each experience confirmed it. A 250 2 stroke is not too much power for anybody to handle, but he thinks it is, so he is going to make a big purchase based on that idea which I have strong reason to believe is incorrect.

I did not say a 250 smoker was too much to handle but there's simply better bikes available to build skill with. The 250 2T and 450F are adult bikes to transition to not learn on.

do not get a 250 2 stroke it would be way to muck bike i would suggest a 125. a 250 2t takes alot of strength and throttle control. get a 125 and just ride it. after you feel you cantrol it and you want more power then get a 250 2t

good luck

I need your help again thumper talk, I'm ready to purchase my next bike. I've had lots of time aboard the klx140l (believe me i know, pathetic right?) and now looking at a 250 4t or 250 2t. I like the advantages 4t give but i like the costs of 2t, power wise, will the 250 4t be enough? any comparisons on the two are BIG helps too me, the only other serious bikes I've ridden our the drz400 (too powerful) and the beta250 trials bike, so i really haven't ridden anything to give me an idea of either 250's,

thanks again,

Caelan

i have a drz i ride on the street and my old crf250r would out run the drz hands down. My 250 2t now its not even close the 250 2t leaves it dead

have you thought about a 125 2t?

hight and weight dont mean jack shit. Its all skill. I was 5 4 when i got my first full size bike (2010 crf250r). I could barely kick the thing but first day i was riding it i was jumping 100ft doubles so its all skill. Now im 6 1 and riding a 350f and 250 2t and never looked back

hight and weight dont mean jack shit. Its all skill. I was 5 4 when i got my first full size bike (2010 crf250r). I could barely kick the thing but first day i was riding it i was jumping 100ft doubles so its all skill. Now im 6 1 and riding a 350f and 250 2t and never looked back

5'4" when riding a big bike off road (including tech single track) is a bad idea for someone learning. Track is different because it doesn't require that you get off the bike until end of race or practice back at the pits. Regardless, we don't know their height still.