Sign in to follow this  

Valve ticking?

It's been about 5 hrs since I checked my valves last and they were all in spec pretty close to new. Lately I've been hearing a bit of a ticking sound but maybe I'm just paranoid and some tick is normal..It starts very easily in all conditions. It seems to go away after it gets to operating temp. Do you guys hear that in your bikes?

Yeah mine was ticking away not long ago and also had no problems starting and it ran just fine.

Right exhaust valve was loose (0.021) and right intake valve was tightening (0.002), shimmed and same ones moved after 5 hours... just put in some SS valves and a new cam chain. Taking the bike out this weekend so I'll let you know if that ticking sound went away.

yeah could still be the cam chain, you said the valves are pretty new, did the cam chain get replaced aswell? Did the ticking sound just recently start?

Mine was progressivley getting louder over time but would quiet down after the engine warmed up, and you could clearly tell it was coming from the left side of the top end.

It wouldnt hurt to re-check the valves, mine did move after 5 hours but thats after they started moving initially.

Oh well your valves and cam chain should be fine for a while then, mine was an obvious tick that I knew wasn't there before...did yours just start or have you always heard it?

Mines a 10 with just over 80 hours, all racing.

After valves n cam chain my ticking sound went away, plenty more compression now too.