Sign in to follow this  

Just Got a 1986 Suzuki SP200 - Help

Hey guys,

I've been riding dirt biked for years now, and I just got my first dual sport. It was given to me by a family member. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has one or knows anything about them? I'd love to have some information about them like basic specifications, oil capacity, power, etc. Any help you guys could give would be much appreciated. I'm also brand new to the forums! Thanks!

I have an 87 model, bought it new when I was in the Navy stationed out in Washington state, used to race it in enduros, them kids would laugh but it was like the tortoise and the hare, eventually catch them and pass them

other than cosmetics and the e-start, the new DR200 is essentially the same bike

never was an after market for them although Happy Trails does have some stuff for the DR and Keintech Engineering has an exhaust and intake mod available

great little bike, went all over Washington state on that bike, gets about 75 mpg and with a 3.25 gal tank it has good range

full out on the hwy is maybe 80mph, that is why I bought the DRZ400S because we have hight speed limits here in Texas and I didn't want to get run over from behind

mine fell off the trailer at 70mph so it got banged up and I have not ridden it for quite a while

while it is not powerful, it does make an easy trail bike, very light, very reliable

please feel free to ask more questions

I have an 87 model, bought it new when I was in the Navy stationed out in Washington state, used to race it in enduros, them kids would laugh but it was like the tortoise and the hare, eventually catch them and pass them

other than cosmetics and the e-start, the new DR200 is essentially the same bike

never was an after market for them although Happy Trails does have some stuff for the DR and Keintech Engineering has an exhaust and intake mod available

great little bike, went all over Washington state on that bike, gets about 75 mpg and with a 3.25 gal tank it has good range

full out on the hwy is maybe 80mph, that is why I bought the DRZ400S because we have hight speed limits here in Texas and I didn't want to get run over from behind

mine fell off the trailer at 70mph so it got banged up and I have not ridden it for quite a while

while it is not powerful, it does make an easy trail bike, very light, very reliable

please feel free to ask more questions

Thanks for the info! I have my motorcycle license and will be looking to ride this bike on the road. From what I gathered, the bike doesn't do much more than 55 or 60 mph, so I figured interstate riding would be out of the question. However, for regular street riding, I feel it would be a pretty decent road bike. I'm hoping it can save me some money on gas. I really know next to nothing about these bikes becuase they're a little before my time (I'm 19 years old), so any other info that is out there on this bike would be greatly appreciated. I'm having a little work done to it currently to get it ready for the road. I will probably be riding it to and from work at least two times a week and taking my car the other days. It's about a 40 mile round trip, providing I don't have to make any business errands (I work for a realtor). So thanks again for the reply, It's much appreciated.

Josh

Hey guys,

It was given to me by a family member.

These bikes are rare now-a-days, had your family member owned this bike long?

These bikes are rare now-a-days, had your family member owned this bike long?

It's actually been in the family its whole life. My uncle's uncle bought it new. He had it until probably 2007 and he sold it to my uncle. He has four bikes and decided he wanted to get rid of this one. He was actually just going to throw it away because he thought it had a bad crank. So I was able to convince him to give it to me. It ended up just being the crank gasket so it's a $6 fix. Adjusting the cam chain, drive chain, and valves, and it's ready to get me down the road!

Pretty much the cousin to the DR.  I have an 1982 SP250, you can still have a lot of fun with them though and you can still farkle them pretty good!  Enjoy it.

DSC08833.jpg