Sign in to follow this  

Helmet Radio Help

Im on a mission to find a good set of radios to put into my helmet. I want to be able to talk to my riding buddies without much wind-noise. We ride dual-sports so mostly trail riding but some tar at 55mph. Also I don't need one that has all sorts of cell phone and mp3 stuff, Just a basic one. I have searched all over thumpertalk and cant find any good suggestions.

The only ones I can find are the Cardo g9's, but I don't need half of the features haha. Anyone have better options?

Racing Radios

Rugged Radios

Sena (probably more option and money than you want to spend)

You can buy helmet specific wiring harnesses for Midland GMRS/FRS radios on Amazon for $25 each.

I've looked at several. For the same reasons as yourself. My issue is that my helmet (Airoh Stelt...real carbon fiber) is pretty thin on the sides, meaning that the supplied speakers will not fit between my ear and the hard inside of the helmet. The Sena's have an option for ditching the speakers and installing a set of ear buds. I think this would be the best route regardless of which type of radio I end up using. I own a set of Midlands that have a range of 1 1/2 to 2 miles here in the mountains (advertised range is 36 miles).

Hope this helps.

Im on a mission to find a good set of radios to put into my helmet. I want to be able to talk to my riding buddies without much wind-noise. We ride dual-sports so mostly trail riding but some tar at 55mph. Also I don't need one that has all sorts of cell phone and mp3 stuff, Just a basic one. I have searched all over thumpertalk and cant find any good suggestions.

You ought to look into 2 meter ham radios and a headset designed for hang gliding. You'll need to get a license but it's not hard. I use a Yaesu FT250R for hang gliding with a home built headset and have also used it while trail riding. The FT250, about $140 is rugged enough for what you will be doing and has far greater range and utility than any GMRS.

A month ago my bike tipped over on me while getting off, trashing my knee. I used the radio to call a friend 10 miles away through hills and trees. I was so f!@#$%^ glad I had it with me because no cell signal. 2 meter can also access repeater systems which cover large areas and there's always people monitoring them.