Sign in to follow this  

2011 KX450F coolant leaking

I have coolant coming out of a hole on the right side cylinder head . It is NOT the water pump weep hole. It is located below a hose inlet on the head, Does anyone know what could cause this ?

I have coolant coming out of a hole on the right side cylinder head . It is NOT the water pump weep hole. It is located below a hose inlet on the head, Does anyone know what could cause this ?

That hole is to allow anything that gets into the spark plug tunnel a place to get out. If I'm not mistaken it is above the head gasket surface and has nothing to do with the head gasket. There are two o-rings that seal the tunnel from the internals of the engine and are only subjected to oil I believe.

If you are seeing coolant I think you need to take a close look at the adapter that is bolted on to the head and the hose that connects to it. Loose clamp maybe?

I have replaced head gaskets on two bikes that were doing that. Both head gaskets had an obvious track where coolant was crossing into the combustion chamber. I didn't think that weep hole connected to anything but the spark plug either, but apparently it does.

I have replaced head gaskets on two bikes that were doing that. Both head gaskets had an obvious track where coolant was crossing into the combustion chamber. I didn't think that weep hole connected to anything but the spark plug either, but apparently it does.

Are you telling me that you took a guess at it and it fixed it? Which is ok with me, but I am more of a "why guy". I have not ran into that problem but I have had oil seeping out of that weep hole due to a faulty o-ring. That tunnel I believe is either screwed into the head or pressed in. If the head gasket fixed it, how was the coolant getting in there?

I'm not sure what seal in the head you're talking about. But there must be a circuit that connects that weep hole with the head gasket. I read a service manual a few years ago that said if coolant is leaking from that hole than your head gasket is blown.

I'm not sure what seal in the head you're talking about. But there must be a circuit that connects that weep hole with the head gasket. I read a service manual a few years ago that said if coolant is leaking from that hole than your head gasket is blown.

Sounds good enough to me. Next time I have a head off I will look into it.

I have read all of your suggestions very carefully . Let me say that I have just replaced the piston and rings and all new gaskets , seals that could be changed . I have been working on these things for sometime now and this one has me baffled ? I am in the process of removing the head again to see if there is any obvious indications of leaks. I will let you know what i find by tomorrow night. Thank you guys for all your expert advice.

I hope it's not a crack or casting flaw into a water jacket. You might do a pressure test and check for leaks to see where it's coming from.

Edited by mx317

I hope it's not a crack or casting flaw into a water jacket. You might do a pressure test and check for leaks to see where it's coming from.

Thanks , I sure hope it is not cracked !

Thanks MX317, New head gasket and base gasket and still leaking slightly as of todays ride. But is not that bad so I am just going to live with it for now .Hasn't effected the performance at all , but i believe it is a crack inside somewhere now? Thanks again for all your advice.