Sign in to follow this  

My vertex / cylinder works big bore kit has no second ring?

So here I am all jacked up on rockstar and excitement for the installation of my shiney new cylinder works vertex piston kit but my RIK ring kit that came with it didnt have a second compression ring! &%$#@!! My stock piston has 3 rings comp-comp-oil, this one only has comp-oil. The vertex piston is grooved for a 2nd compression ring but the groove is very shallow.

Do you not need a second comp ring with this kit?

shit looking at the box for the piston it says wrf / yzf but the RIK ring kit box says crf250r!!! Major disappointment! Someone was slackin hard!

K just for future googlers that get their navigational beacons pointed to this thread. I called cylinder works and they confirmed that this is a GP style piston and that one compression and one oil ring is how the piston was designed. As for the RIK box saying crf250 they said that many rings are interchangable between bike platforms which makes sense b/c its really just a inside / outside / thickness diameter they are trying to match to their piston size and their cylinder bore size. Do be sure to check ring end gap before installation regardless. However mine was spot on from the factory. Good luck!

• Like 1