Sign in to follow this  

Newbie here need advice stat

Hi guys. Sorry about my ignorance in the subject, but some technical terms I am unfamiliar in... especially in english.

I purchased a bike recently (first) Kawasaki KX250F 2007 and all was dandy for a week, but im having trouble starting the bike now. In portuguese i would say the carburetor is drowning, im not sure what the technical term is is english. But basically im having an insane hard time starting it. And when i tip the bike, gas comes flowing down one of the hoses that comes out of the carburetor. My friend thought me how to tip it and check if that was the problem, but it happens all the time, and i always be careful not to rev the throttle while starting the bike. Basically it "drowns" all the time and i dont know what to do. Ive changed the air filter, spark plugs... before i noticed that the carb was actually taking in too much gas. Any advice? am i doing something wrong? Is it usually this difficult to start this 4 stroke bike? Any advice is immensely appreciated.

Thanks

Frankie

The carb is supposed to empty out when you tip it over. It's call the 'overflow' tube.

It's only a problem if it overflows when you don't tip it over.

You need to open the throttle wide open, press down on the kill button, and kick it 20 times or so, to clear the cylinder of old gas.

Now with the throttle CLOSED the whole time, kill button off, kick it through a few times slowly, to find top-dead-center (when it gets stiff at the top of the stroke).

Now kick it all the way through harder. Not as hard as you can, that's not needed. Use NO THROTTLE until it starts to run.

You might have to turn the idle screw in a half a turn to get it to start with no throttle.

This is the proper way to start a four stroke. You might need choke if it's cold, but still, NO THROTTLE, until it starts to run.

It should start if you repeat this as many times as needed.

You probably just need to put in a fresh new pilot jet, and adjust your fuel screw

If you have not checked the valve clearance you need to do so.

Since you don't have a clue on how to work on this bike, get a pro to do it.

Edited by Krannie