Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF450R Balancer and Crank seal fitment

I have the oil migration issue; transmission to crank side.

I took the bike a part to change out those two seals. I used red loctite and peened the holes. However I wasn't entirely sure how deep to put the seals in.

I pushed the balancer seal in flush with the case and the crank seal went in a ways. The balancer felt like it had a little play back and forth and I was worried that the balancer weight might bind with the a gear on the crank if it moves.

After putting it together and kicking it, the kickstart goes down to the bottom and then stays there. Something is binding and I assume it is the balancer weight rubbing against a crank gear if the gears are out of alignment.

I did pop off the kick start gear by accident and put it back on, but I thought I had it together correctly, so that shouldn't be the issue. But who knows.

So I'm wondering if I put the seals in at the correct depth or if any of you CRF gurus have any ideas. I need to get this thing going and I can't afford the dealership to do the work.

Thanks.

Edited by TJ888

only way to know is to pull apart and check everything you thought about.

I'm going to do that. But what I'm wondering is if the balancer seal is supposed to sit flush with the case or is it supposed to go in a bit.

Did you install the seal the correct side facing out? Also did you make sure you ligned up the timing marks on the gears for the crank and counterbalance on the transmission side? What holes did you peen and what did you loc tite? Oh and lastly the seal sits flush.

Edited by Charlie755