Sign in to follow this  

06 RMZ 450 engin noise

Hi All

Please help

been reading the forums about the RMZ 450 and how noisy the motor is, i was recently out riding when i realized i was low on oil, when i say low i mean i drained out about 200ml of oil from the motor, problem is i rode the bike like that for about 12km and now there is a ticking noise coming from the top of the motor its not a bad noise but its there at idle mainly, although there is no loss in performance i am just concerned, i removed the cam cover and cant see anything wrong however was wondering if anyone out there could shed some light on what the possible damage could be from low oil, being an 06 i dont thing the motor has ever been touched, everything else that i have ever checked on the bike is still way within service limit.

Edited by Brett Ralph

hi there

i have an 06 rmz 450 and had the same prob! noisy engine but still had good grunt. replaced valves and timing chain... still didnt wrk... ended up doing the piston and big end and thats sorted it out but set me back around R10 000.00 (south africa). good luck

thanks for the help, the noise is like a tick tick tick, i opened the cam cover and turned the motor over slowly and noticed that each time the inlet cam came downn it made the tick sound so not sure where to start, maybe i should just order a stock big end small end chain and cams with shim set etc,

well opened up my head to check the cams, i found that the intake cam bearing had spun in the cam cover not bad enough though to warrent anything drastic, i ordered new rings that came and were wrong so had to send them back as my rings had a small step in them and the replacement ones did not, i then toock the whole engin out and decided to check everything, i found that the righ side crank bearing was on its way out too so ended up repacing that too, all in all the whole thing has cost me US$ 486 i am putting everything back now so should be fun.

Looks like you caught things just in time. 

How many hours on the motor total? Just curious if the motor had a ton of hours on it or if the low oil level was the sole culprit to the damage.

Well the bike was bought new in SA around 2007 the year is 06 it was raced for about a year and then sold to another guy who also raced it mainly flat track for about two years then sold to me so i would guess multiple hours and never been opened ever, so considering i recon it has done well, i am still running the original piston although the book calles for a piston change evry 12 hours, so must say i think Suzuki got something right as was out riding today with a mate that is running a kawasaki 450 KX 2007 that has always kicked my butt as his bike has been worked, today my Suzuki pulled passed him easy without a problem so very happy, to answer the question i beleive the bearings are from the age and amount of hours run, the ticking noise i had was the intake cam bearing that slipped due to heat and no oil that time that i ran it low, the problem of running out of oil was due to realy bad oil rings, this is because it was never run in right in the begining, so generaly speaking a cant complain, my bike runs like the wind and to be fare its one of the best handeling bikes i have ever had especialy when it comes to cornering, the 4 speed box is a drawback on trails but for track amazing!!!!!

• Like 2