Sign in to follow this  

New XR250L

I bought a 96 XR250L for 1500 a few weeks ago and have just finished fixing the minor little things that were broken on it , mirrors turn signals replaced the front tube, etc. I need to do an oil change on it still. How do you guys like the xr250 for around town driving and commuting? And is there anything issuewise that I should look out for on this bike?

I have a street legal XR250L 1997, I use it mainly off-road, but if I go to town, sometimes I take it as well, the XR250 is a great all-round bike, I've been riding XR's for two decades now, without too many problems, bullet proof as they say

I bought a 96 XR250L for 1500 a few weeks ago and have just finished fixing the minor little things that were broken on it , mirrors turn signals replaced the front tube, etc. I need to do an oil change on it still. How do you guys like the xr250 for around town driving and commuting? And is there anything issuewise that I should look out for on this bike?

Monitor your oil level to get a feel for how much it uses and keep it at the full mark.

These bikes are hard on oil. When you change the oil, notice how smooth it shifts. With conventional 20W-50 oil, the shifting gets notchy when the oil needs changing in as little as 100 miles.

The bikes are jetted lean. It will start on the first kick almost every time with a 40 or 42 pilot jet. The stock 122 main is very lean especially if you change the exhaust and intake.

Don't try to go moe than a few rides without checking the oil! Otherwise a great round town and commuter bike.

The bike is covered in JetsRUs.com stickers, I'm wondering if it has been rejetted? I'm not sure how to tell or of you even can.

Thanks for the advice on the oil, I noticed she was a little low when I picked her up.

What oils do you all run in your XR250s?

You need to remove the float bowl and look for the tiny numbers on the jets.

Or you can just judge whether it runs well or feels choked off.

The bike is covered in JetsRUs.com stickers, I'm wondering if it has been rejetted? I'm not sure how to tell or of you even can.

Thanks for the advice on the oil, I noticed she was a little low when I picked her up.

What oils do you all run in your XR250s?

Only way to tell for sure about the jets is to pull the carb and see what jets are installed. Factory jetting on a 250l is 122 main and 38 pilot, IMO this is a little lean. I am running a 125 main and 40 pilot on mine, with factory muffler, baffle and airbox. The 250l carb has an accelerator pump,(https://thumpertalk.com/topic/232120-xr250l-carb-mod-that-really-works/), this mod is awesome and pretty much eliminates lean bog. I use Rottella T6 5w40 in mine. I have a 1991 XR250L by the way. Congrats on the new bike!

My virago 250 never looses oil. Is it because the engine is so hot?

Most of these engines are getting old and the tolerances are probably not what they use to be. Really the only time mine looses any oil is on prolonged highway runs(high rpm) and it does not loose much. Your virago is street bike and probably better suited for street riding. Its not that big of a deal just have to keep an eye on your oil levels, which is something you should be doing anyway. RFVC engines are pretty much bulletproof as long as they have oil in them.

Edited by jg83

I think its just blow by. Most of these engines are getting old and the tolerances are probably not what they use to be. Really the only time mine looses any oil is on prolonged highway runs(high rpm) and it does not loose much. Your virago is street bike and probably better suited for street riding. Its not that big of a deal just have to keep an eye on your oil levels, which is something you should be doing anyway. RFVC engines are pretty much bulletproof as long as they have oil in them.

I noticed the level went from high mark to low mark after 2 hours of highway driving which is my commute to where I ride. I will check it when I get back every week. Any clue how many ml is low to high?

I noticed the level went from high mark to low mark after 2 hours of highway driving which is my commute to where I ride. I will check it when I get back every week. Any clue how many ml is low to high?

Not sure on the ml from low to high, sorry. How fast are you going on your commute?

Edited by jg83

I think that's a typical oil consumption rate for a lot of these bikes. I would say that when it uses three to four ounces of oil, it's time to top it off. You wouldn't want to wait until it uses a pint. I carry oil on long trips.

I could be wrong but oil can settle in locations where it would not settle right after you put it in...

i.e. you change the oil. do half.. start it up let it circulate or just kick it over again and again for the pump to move the oil.

you then fill in the rest to the fill line and say voila! she's full.

go out and ride and come back and what the heck! its so much lower than it was before!

but in reality it is just the oil "settling" everywhere in the engine that it wasn't before.

So in closing I guess im suggesting you aren't actually filling it up all the way.. it gets filled to the line, but by the time it gets worked into the gears and everywhere it's supposed to be, you're actually low on oil and needs to be topped off again.

Just a thought.. this could be what's happening.

So a high quality multi weight then? I thought it was just a single weight like SAE 30. That's what I had topped it off with when I first brought her home since I've been using it in my XR200R.

I appreciate the tips on the jets, when I get done rebuilding the little Chinese Pit bike I might pull the carb on the 250 and check the numbers to see, I am thinking it may be stock only because most people seem to say that once up jetted the bike will start with only a kick or two, mine usually takes 8-12 when the engine is ambient Temp with choke fully on.

If it's a 250R I think you just empty the float bowl, loosen the clamps, twist the bowl to the left side and you can remove the bowl and then remove/change the jets.

Edit from tired guy: Not a 250R!

I use 20W50 SAE motorcycle oil.

Edited by XRMarc

So a high quality multi weight then? I thought it was just a single weight like SAE 30. That's what I had topped it off with when I first brought her home since I've been using it in my XR200R.

Manual calls for 10w40 or 20w50 JASO depending on temperature. I run Rotella T6 full synthetic many others do as well, its a really good oil for a much better price then Motorcycle specific oil.