Sign in to follow this  

crash on a 250x

Just thought I'd share a small crash I had the other day. I'm fairly new to dirt bikes, only 4 months with it and never ridden one before.

Any tips or constructive criticism is welcome.

Your making the same mistake that everyone makes when they first start riding; not keeping your head up. The bike will go where your head is pointing and where you have your focus.

Checkout some of the video's here and on you tube. You'll notice that they are looking a lot farther ahead down the trail then you are.

Also, you always want the front end light. Only time you want to be up on the tank is making a turn.

Last, try to stay on your feet, keep your knees in tight to the bike for control, and make sure you keep your toes up.

Jim.

Looks like the you got caught in a rut but I couldnt tell exactly why you went down, front end get loose or back end kick out alittle to far? Gotta be alert for square edges and ruts like that because as you already know it gets tricky fast. Hope you didnt get hurt on that one..

Looked like a cross rut to me also. Sometimes that just happens and it happens to the best riders in the world. Wrecks are just part of the game. I tell new dirt bike riders the same thing we told new rough stock riders when i rodeo'd back in my younger days. It isn't a matter of if you get hurt, its when and how bad.

Read up on riding tips and practice. Nothing beats seat time. Also, have an experienced rider watch you and point out where you can improve. And when i say experienced i mean someone who is good and knows what they are talking about. Everyone who plays golf thinks they have the answer to improve your swing. But nothing beats taking a lesson from a pro or getting advice from someone with a par or near par GIN. Same with motocross or fast trail riding.

Have fun out there. Good to see a full set of gear...or at least i think i saw everything.

Hey, thanks guys.. It happened really fast I really didn't have time to react.

The main problem was the rut for sure, but as TDW says, I also don't know how I fell (lol). I can't remember clearly what happened but I think my rear tire started the problem of going to the right and because of the rut my front tire slipped and caused the bike to fall.

Unfortunately, I did sprained my ankle. Don't know how my right foot was when the bike fell but it crushed my leg and twisting it bad, I got a little unlucky there.