Sign in to follow this  

MotoX helmets street legal?

Are Motocross helmets street/highway legal? It seems like it would be the best of both worlds: chin protection, but still having the wind in your face.

I'm sure they are never been stopped before but I prefer a dual sport helmet for on road riding because the full face shield is better.

If the helmet is DOT approved, then it is street legal. I'm with MX, the Dual sport helmets have the face shield so you really have the best of both worlds there.

Are Motocross helmets street/highway legal? It seems like it would be the best of both worlds: chin protection, but still having the wind in your face.

I bet you haven't done much street riding as I used to hate the full face buckets too. They're hot, you can't hear anything and with no wind they hurt the whole experience. But... after an hour at highway speeds the wind starts to rub your face raw and bugs hurt alot more (and they always seem to find my cheekbones when I wear my Shoei on the street).

If the helmet is DOT approved, then it is street legal. I'm with MX, the Dual sport helmets have the face shield so you really have the best of both worlds there.

I'm sure they are never been stopped before but I prefer a dual sport helmet for on road riding because the full face shield is better.

iv even thought of using a dual sport helmet for mx so my face doesn't get so dirty

iv even thought of using a dual sport helmet for mx so my face doesn't get so dirty

....I have thought about this two. The only problem is scratching the face shield. Goggle lenses are cheap, but scratching a DS shield will run you $25-50 a pop.

I used an MX helmet with goggles for over a year on my DRZ, there was those few times when I wasp or some other large bug would hit just right and get me on the face. I went with a Fly Trekker, much better imo.

DS helmets are great at times. I have an Arai XD-3. Awesome lid. I wear it when it is below 50 degrees. Otherwise I wear an Airoh MX helmet with goggles. About 1/2 the weight of the Arai, and much cooler in the summer. You burn up with the visor down on the full face helmet when riding anything but on the pavement (and I really hate to ride on the pavement), and with the visor up, you have little to no eye protection.

Yeah .. The Airoh is a great helmet .. And light

It's kind of ironic though. Airoh helmets are worn almost exclusively by European MX and Enduro Riders. Herrlings, Knight, Caraoili, etc., etc. They are worn by motocrossers in the US (Blake Wharton, Marvin Musquin, etc). I use mine when dual sport riding.....but they are not DOT approved. They have such a small presence here that they have obtained the US seal of approval. The ECE standards are more stringent. I'm comfortable with it and I've never been checked by the police(just like I've never had an officer verify that my tires are DOT approved).

I was in fact surprised to see so many riders in GNCC and AMA Motocross wearing a helmet(brand) that was not approved by the US sanctioning body. When I bought my helmet, I had to order it from a supplier in Britain. Now the sole US distributor is right here in the state of WV (KTM-PARTS.com aka Appaliachian Off-Road).

But yeah, in all reality my Airoh weighs just a little more than the heavy cardboard box the Arai shipped in. The Arai (which is not considered a light helmet) weighs in around 1500g, while the Airoh wieghs in at just under 1000g. Hugh difference, even more so in the application than simply in the numbers.

Yeah , I saw the Euro riders using them and made some inquiries .

I have 2 Airohs now , I bought mine from Britain also .

When my first one arrived I thought the box was empty , they are that light .

As long as the helmet is DOT approved, it can be used on the street. The only time I would get hassled is when I used to take the bike for inspection. The guy would fail me because my goggles weren't DOT approved!