Sign in to follow this  

I need a lower bike.

My current ride is a 2001 WR250F. The only complaint I've ever had about it was that it's too tall. I'm 5' 11 and can't really put my feet flat on the ground. I've dropped it on rocky trails that I used to be able to do on a lower bike. A couple weeks ago it really bit me bad. Rolled forward when I was getting off and got my leg, tearing ACL and MCL in left knee. I'll be back riding in a few months and want to get a lower bike with electric start.

Last week I sat on an '05 Honda crf450x and it was lower than mine, specs show about an inch and a half. Newer Yamaha wr450f shows the seat height lower than mine. Weight on both of these is only a little more than what I've got.

Has anybody ridden both of these that can offer a comparison?

Whatever I get I'll be making it street legal.

They r all within inches of each other. U can get a low cut seat and u can probably take your bike to the local shop and they could lower it

Get the sag set properly on your bike and it should feel a lot lower than what you describe. Static sag is the amount it sags when you lift off the stand and it is unweighted - no rider (typically about 1.25-1.5") Race sag is the amount of sag you get when you have a rider standing on the pegs. This should be set at approx 33% of the total suspension travel by changing the preload on the rear shock spring (more preload, more sag). For example...if rear suspension travel is 11.5", the race sag should be set at 3.75-4.00". So when you throw a leg over it and sit on it, it should drop about 3-3/4" to 4" from how it sits on the stand and about 2.5" further than how it sits without the rider on it. If that is not enough, you can purchase lowering links or have the suspension professionally lowered. At 5'11" you are likely tall enough to be able to touch both feet on the ground with a properly set up suspension (without lowering/lowering links, seat shaving, etc).

Sorry to hear about your injury. You might also think about going to a 250 or 300 2 stroke set up for trails (KTM, GasGas, Husky) as these bikes are about 25 lbs lighter than the 450 4 strokes and dont feel as top heavy (at least in my very limited experience).

Good choice about making it street legal. Have done that with 4 bikes here in Colorado (KDX200, WR250F, KX100 and Husaberg FE450). My riding buddies have plated a WR450F and a KLX450R. You should have no problem with WR450F, CRF450X, KLX450X, KTM 450 XC-W, KTM 250/300 XC-W, Husaberg FE390/450/570, Husky TE310/449/511, etc...basically anything with elec start will have a battery and power generating capacity to power a brakelight, tail light and headlamp. Add, horn, mirror, DOT tires and you are ready to pass inspection. Make sure you get the manufacturer's certificate of origin indicating it is an offroad bike (remember you are converting offroad to street legal) or have seller include language on the bill of sale (under penalty of perjury in the second degree) that it is sold as an off-road bike if they dont have the MSO/MCO.

Hit the Rocky Mountain section of ThumperTalke when it comes time to plating/converting a dirt bike and we can walk you through the forms/process.

Get the sag set properly on your bike.................

Hit the Rocky Mountain section of ThumperTalke when it comes time to plating/converting a dirt bike and we can walk you through the forms/process.

I set the race sag to 4 inches. The early WRs were just tall bikes. I've seen lowering links for my bike but people say bikes don't handle well with them. I'd rather get a lower bike and start from there. And a 450 would do highway speed easier.

My previous bike, an 86 TT225 and the one I have now both came with titles but were not street legal. I put all the equipment on them. I see you're in CO too, I'm in Salida. There is no inspection here if the bike has been plated before. If it's never been plated, you make an appointment with the sheriff and they come to your place and inspect it. Up until a couple years ago there was no inspection period. Very easy place to do this.

My WR is an '01, no electric start. I floated the ground and used a BD reg/rect and a Ballistic battery pushed into the airbox. I used a Tusk switch for lights and horn with a couple diodes in there in the hot to high and low beam to the tail so it works with the switch. Hydraulic switch on the rear master cylinder and a street bike front master cylinder with switch and mirror mount built in. Cheep horn from ebay. I gutted the original harness, taking out the lighting from it and made my own separate harness for just the lighting. Keyed ignition switch. It all works. I don't have DOT tires. A cop stopped me in Salida for riding with no eye protection, just a test run in the alley after an adjustment. He didn't say anything about the tires.

The Betas have lower seat height than most bikes. Try have a look at one

I checked out Betas. Expensive. I like the fact that with the big 5 there are plenty of parts easily available.

I set the race sag to 4 inches. The early WRs were just tall bikes. I've seen lowering links for my bike but people say bikes don't handle well with them. I'd rather get a lower bike and start from there. And a 450 would do highway speed easier.

My previous bike, an 86 TT225 and the one I have now both came with titles but were not street legal. I put all the equipment on them. I see you're in CO too, I'm in Salida. There is no inspection here if the bike has been plated before. If it's never been plated, you make an appointment with the sheriff and they come to your place and inspect it. Up until a couple years ago there was no inspection period. Very easy place to do this.

My WR is an '01, no electric start. I floated the ground and used a BD reg/rect and a Ballistic battery pushed into the airbox. I used a Tusk switch for lights and horn with a couple diodes in there in the hot to high and low beam to the tail so it works with the switch. Hydraulic switch on the rear master cylinder and a street bike front master cylinder with switch and mirror mount built in. Cheep horn from ebay. I gutted the original harness, taking out the lighting from it and made my own separate harness for just the lighting. Keyed ignition switch. It all works. I don't have DOT tires. A cop stopped me in Salida for riding with no eye protection, just a test run in the alley after an adjustment. He didn't say anything about the tires.

Stopped for having no eye protection ? I have never heard of that before . Is that a requirement in your part of the world ?

Stopped for having no eye protection ? I have never heard of that before . Is that a requirement in your part of the world ?

Yup. Here in Colorado you can ride with no helmet but you have to have eye protection. I always wear it unless I'm just riding up the alley to test something. Of course the harley riders never wear helmets. I saw one that had just hit a truck. His brains were all over the road and one arm torn off at the elbow.