Sign in to follow this  

01 RM250 sat for a few months, now it wont start. :(?

I stopped riding my RM250 for awhile.. drained the gas, and the carb, and the oil and let it do its natural paper weight thing in the garage for around 4-6 months, Bought a dual sport and my best friend sold his two stroke.

Now i'm looking to sell this bike, just bought a new pipe, silencer, seat, plastic, plug, oil, gas/ yamalube, and air filter for it two days ago, and began working on it.

took the carb apart, the main jet was sealed with gunk.. couldn't find my small flat head screw driver so i didn't get the pilot jet out unfortunately. put it back together and stuck it on to see if it would go anyway.

mixed the yamalube (which the bike has never agreed with..only use it because the local shop doesn't carry semi synthetic anymore ) mixed 32:1 with 93 octane. normally yamalube just fouls my plug within 10 or 15 minutes.

bike isn't seized, has a wiseco top end with 10 HRs on it, good compression, bearings should be alright as i had a mechanic check the crank bearings and lube the swing arm bearings. It gets spark. No idea what else could be wrong unless the pilot jet is clogged really bad and thats whats making it so hard to start?

Its been ran with NGK BR8ES plugs since i've had it, the kawasaki shop recommended NGK BR8EG which seemed to not work at all, with the new fuel and BR8ES plug it started briefly then shut off like it fouled out the plug in 10 seconds. didn't start at all with the BR8EG.

Im trying to sell this bike.. and i've got a lot of money into it.. some one offered me a grand cash which is a bit low in my opinion.. i wanted 1800 running.. It started fine before i put it in storage, actually it ran great and i would start it every few weeks and normally when i was in the garage i'de crank the engine to rotate everything. could something electrical have failed or gone bad since its been sitting?

IMG_6530.jpg

IMG_5065.JPG

I wouldn't go any farther with anything until You get that pilot jet out and clean it,,,that sounds like the problem to Me.........Dr.D..