Conversion help from the TT Gods!

Hello everyone, been a long time user of the great info on these forums but I've just now joined because I need a few critical bits of information.

I'm planning on doing a DRZ S to SM conversion, but on a bit of a minimalist mindset.

My goals are to end up with near-SM performance without the extra $2k that everyone seems to think their SM is worth, regardless of age and mileage.

I plan on swapping out the forks for the USD forks and by doing so, upping the front rotor to the 310mm (IIRC) SM rotor size.

The 47mm Showa forks and the RMZ 250 triple tree to have the correct offset are what I'm planning on getting.

I also want to leave the rear. This bike is going to be around-town fun and city commuting, not track racing so that won't be important.

So my main questions are-

1) Will my plan with the front work out? I know I "should" get the SM speedo drive, but frankly, a bit of difference doesn't matter.

2) Will the stock SM Excel rims bolt right into that setup? No spacers, etc? (pics please!)

3) Are all 47mm Showa's the same? They look identical but come off of Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki. Any difference in caliper bolting or anything?

4) How about the back end? Will there be any spacing problems? Are they easy to overcome?

Thank you all for your time!

Just did a S to SM conversion just go with the regular forks I did a post on adapting for the 310mm front disc . You would be way ahead if you just had the current suspension setup. I picked up a set of mint stock SM rims/tires/ discs/ sprockets/spacers for 700.00 . You can just run the s discs or adapt the front for 310mm you will have to run the s rear brake. Your thinking to much into this its very simple to convert. I have less than 850.00 into it 700 rims 45 front disk adapter 30 acerbis SM front fender 25 1" lowering links 15 for some nuts and bolts. Now just revalve suspension and your set you are going to have to revalve everything if you swap stuff in for sure . I haven't revalved yet and an having a blast. Just sayin 1373834717559.jpg1373834717559.jpg

1373834746556.jpg

Did you actually find an adapter for the 310 or are you running partial pad contact? Sounds like you found a good deal on stock rims for sure.

Here is a link for the write up I did on the 310mm disc on standard S forks.... https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1028926-i-am-now-running-a-310mm-disc-on-my-smd-s-picsdetails/

Here is a link for the adapter it comes from down under and only took 11 days to get to So California . Been running it for a few months and alls well. ... http://www.motard-wheels.110mb.com/drz400-klx400-caliper-adapter-bracket.htm

Mark thanks for the adaptor info!

and honestly what you've got there is exactly what I want!

all-inclusive, how much did it set you back?

My budget is pretty fixed at $3k, so that's what I'm hoping to spend.

I can do all this work on my own, but the biggest problem is that the SM wheels, rotors and sprocket are killing me!

If I spend $1,200 on them, I'm WAY over budget.

I WISH I could find a $700 deal like what you did.

I'd love to meet up with you sometime and look at your bike and ask you some questions!

Let me know if that's possible.

I'm in Riverside, so you can't be too far away!

Your just over the hill from me I'm in the Palm Springs area around 1 hr to downtown riverside for me. I'll pm my # to you. I've got 1500 for the bike ( a steal) sold the 4 gal tank for 200 he included the stock tank and shrouds 700 wheels/tires , 30 SM fender,45 310mm adapter, about 15 for nuts bolts for adapter,and I put an edge tail light 55some taller bars 80 and a seat concepts seat 150 all together under 2500 . I wasn't planning on building a new bike I was actually scouring craigslist for SM rims for my knobbied S to save my tires and came across the bike in Barstow scrounged up the cash and bought it the rest is history LOL

Edited by Mark Astorga

That's damn lucky.

In 2 years I've seen 2 nice SM/S combos and they were gone before they were even posted.

And I almost got a S that was SM converted with a tight E engine. Super quick, sold for $2500.

Ridiculous. I can't get anything good!