Sign in to follow this  

Weight Dist Hitch

I have an F350 I've been hauling my 5K - 6K lb work trailer with for years. The wife and I just bought a 30 ft camper, so I ordered and installed Reese's 1,200 / 12,000 lb round bar hitch. Never set one up before, and when loading the draw bars the instructions get kinda sketchy.

Trailer: 30 ft

about 6,000 gvw

about 700 tongue

Without draw bars chains hooked up, the truck's receiver drops 2" when camper is hooked up.

I adjusted the head angle so that when the chains are hooked, the draw bars run parallel with the campers frame, the front of the truck drops about 1/2", and the rear of the truck comes up enough to bring the trailer level to the road. Pulls nice, just wanting to know if I followed the directions correctly.

Also got Reese's higher-end friction sway control. How do you establish how to set this thing up? The instructions don't give a starting point to the adjustability. The lower bolt that is used for adjustment is pre-set... is there a medium / middle point to start at?

Thanks

It sounds like you got your weight distribution hitch on correctly. One think to make sure of is that you go to the same chain link on both bars. This not only keeps the weight balanced but reduces wear and tear on the receiver from twisting.

As for the Reese sway control bar, you tighten one handle down as much as you can by hand then take a half turn off. Make sure you never back up with it on. That can damage the bar when you try to turn one way and have the part pop off with some force behind it.

It sounds like you got your weight distribution hitch on correctly. One think to make sure of is that you go to the same chain link on both bars. This not only keeps the weight balanced but reduces wear and tear on the receiver from twisting.

As for the Reese sway control bar, you tighten one handle down as much as you can by hand then take a half turn off. Make sure you never back up with it on. That can damage the bar when you try to turn one way and have the part pop off with some force behind it.

👍 Thanks

And more... camper was loaded when I set the ball height up, but truck was empty. Should I re-establish the ball height again when the truck is loaded with two bikes and gear?

👍 Thanks

And more... camper was loaded when I set the ball height up, but truck was empty. Should I re-establish the ball height again when the truck is loaded with two bikes and gear?

I don't think it would weigh enough to warrant doing everything over, but if your rear end drops more than an inch then you can.