Sign in to follow this  

painting a frame

hey everyone im new to tt but anyways i have a 2001 kx85 frame and i have painted it i sanded it down with 220 grit then primed it nicely let that sit over night then used gloos black VHT roll bar and chassis paint then put 2 light coats and 1 medium coat then let that sit for about 3 hrs and i painted it at a friends house so i needed to take it home its now in my garage hanging it said it takes 7 days to cure and i plan on leaving it for 7 days but on the ride home i noticed in some spots that might have been on the bottom of the car peeled not too noticibly but alittle so my question is will it still want to peel when after it cures??

Powder coating is a better way

Personally, I prefer paint as its easier to touch up.

In answer to the OP's question, yes, it will likely still peel. It sounds as if you set it flat on a surface before it was cured. Paint it while hanging from a wire and leave it hanging for the entire cure time.

Also, learn to use punctuation. It makes it much easier to understand, and consequently help out.

well it was hanging when i painted it and hung for 3hrs b4 taking it down. then after that i took it home and hung it back up. but my question is will it peel even when cured? and i havent the money to powdercoat.

It all depends on your prep work. Did you clean the surfaces after you sanded, before you painted? Did you use the correct type (same type as your paint) of self etching primer?

yes indeed i did every step u should do before painting.

I used the same paint on my yzf, but I never primed it like you did, it says on the can that there is no need to prime. I hung mine for about 12hrs before I took it down, then put it out in the hot sun for ~6hrs or so, then let it cure for the 7days before reassembly. it's like rock hard now and doesn't scratch easily!

Did you use wax and grease remover and a tack cloth after you sanded? You either didnt prep properly or moved it around too soon after painting.

Yes it must hang and not be touched for many weeks, mine was hanging for 3 months before I took it down.

IMG_4249.JPG